Small Drone Rule to Be Released by End of Year

Not to be too pessimistic... but the potential issue I've been worried about is that currently a "small UAV is considered under 55lbs... to me and probably most on this board that is HUGE... I bet you could build a fixed wing UAV with a 10-12 foot wingspan under 55lbs easily. I built an 8 foot fixed wing that weighted only 9 lbs. Something 55lbs would certainly be a hazard in the wrong airspace (not that little ones aren't also).

I guess my point/wish would be that they consider one more designation.... like under 10 or 12lbs or even less... more for the hobbyist doing small commercial work.

I fear with a 55lb limit for "small" UAV's we are all going to get lumped in with some pretty heavy duty requirements if you wish to do commercial work.

My 2 cents...

Looks like up here in Canada their doing a 2kg and under class hopefully you guys get something similar

Let's hope for a 10lbs and under class. Maybe even a 5lbs and under. No airworthiness cert. No medical. No PPL. Maybe a written test you can take online.

ianwood said:
Let's hope for a 10lbs and under class. Maybe even a 5lbs and under. No airworthiness cert. No medical. No PPL. Maybe a written test you can take online.

we can only hope..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl