Small cracks in landing gear - should I worry?

Reaction score
Just noticed these small cracks when updating the firmware just now. Not that the two are connected - but it was on my desk and I was cleaning some grime out of the plastic seams.

IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG

I looked after seeing yours and I have what looks to be similar cracks on two legs. Never had a hard landing, but I do sometimes hold or carry mine with a leg in hand. Maybe that is the cause. I'm not concerned, but disappointed. I too would like to know if others have this occurring.

I looked after seeing yours and I have what looks to be similar cracks on two legs. Never had a hard landing, but I do sometimes hold or carry mine with a leg in hand. Maybe that is the cause. I'm not concerned, but disappointed. I too would like to know if others have this occurring.
Same here, in the same place... never crashed or had any hard landings. At the moment it's not enough for me to ask for an exchange, who knows what illl get back.
I'll keep a watchful eye on it, hopefully they don't start showing up on the airframe. I can deal with them on the landing arms, little glue and baking soda should, help.

Long time lurker, first time poster - So, Hello :)

Your post prompted me to check my own P4P. Sure enough, there are small cracks in the landing gear.

Only flown a handful of times, never landing hard.

Bigdz, I'm totally unfamiliar with the process but why the reluctance to send for repair?

Cheers,
A

The reason why is because when you send in a otherwise good working product they typically do not repair/return the same device. They give you a repaired unit that someone els turned in, and who know what problems may come with that.

The reason why is because when you send in a otherwise good working product they typically do not repair/return the same device. They give you a repaired unit that someone els turned in, and who know what problems may come with that.
Yes, did it 3 times with the P4. That's why I'm reluctant to do it with my P4P.

I find this exceptionally interesting because not only do you see "Ty" in the DJI videos carrying around the Phantoms by the landing gear, but a lot of people, me included, often grabbing from a hover when landing.

And because of all that I have just as often thought the landing gear has never really seems robust enough for my liking.

This is now making me second guess hand grabbing and I'll be checking my landing gear asap.

Gotta wonder why it seems so light duty for what's required of it.

Well it wouldn't be the first DJI product that needed a little reinforcement material added to keep it from getting worse or failing completely. Terribly disappointed though.

Does any member have any experience with a torn down unit that can comment on the impact of ignoring these cracks, or even speculate to a possible cause beyond the aforementioned handling of the landing gear?

Thanks!

Reactions: alokbhargava
Long time lurker, first time poster - So, Hello :)

Your post prompted me to check my own P4P. Sure enough, there are small cracks in the landing gear.

Only flown a handful of times, never landing hard.

Bigdz, I'm totally unfamiliar with the process but why the reluctance to send for repair?

Cheers,
A
I bought p4pro in Feb.2017. Well taking care of, no hard landings, hand catch 90% of time. I have 3 phantoms, standard, pro and pro 4. Love all three of my phantoms. I fly p4pro alot over the other two phantoms. Phantom 4 pro has 120 flights. I believe in sport mode she is just way to fast, so I always fly in normal mode without sport. I have stress cracks. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to send her to dji. Reason, I know how she has been taking care of in her 120 flights and I don't want to get a different phantom. She has been perfect. My question is what should I do?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e6737vxjyf3nnmo/AADla9BR2WRXRbuAEYXa8T9Ea?dl=0

I just checked mine. I don't see any cracks on my P4P (24 flights 7 hours flight time) For what it's worth I also checked my P4 just now which has almost 200 flights & over 40 hours of flight time with no cracks either. I wonder what causes this? I noticed some say they hand catch, some land normal. I personally hand catch 95 percent of the time. Very interesting indeed what might cause these cracks

P.S. I also have only used the supplied grey styrofoam case with both

Mine has these cracks too, however, in south africa, we have to DJI agents where we can go exchange :( , on mine, tiny bit of plastic from the crack have gone missing already,

Same problem here, small cracks on the landing skids and arms, overall the p4p looks very sturdy but apparently the landing skids are not. I'm kinda disappointed too

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl