Slower climb rate

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my Phantom 3 Standard is 1 month old, the battery has 17 charging cycles, and I never had any kind of accident or problem with it, but now I feel that something is going weird;

The maximum climb rate of the P3S is 5m/s, when pushing full throttle I always had that climb rate, but on my last flights, I saw that when the battery is below 50% (well, around that), I can only get a max climb rate of about 3.5m/s according to the DJI Go App, it doesn't climb up to 5m/s like when the battery has more charge.

Why is this happening? It is normal and I just never realized it before? It may be a battery problem? A motor problem? Or it may be just a reading error of the barometer?

I think about the barometer, because when I landed in the very same spot when I took off, the height reading said -6.8 m, not 0 like it used to say before. I recalibrated the IMU and it continues the same.

Here is the last flight log HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

@Masloff
Welcome to the forum!
I have never paid attention to the climb rate.
Your Barometer is not that accurate, I have never really gathered data on that, but have seen be of by negatives many times. I going to throw out a number of +10, -10 would not be a concern.

Rod

Totally normal for a battery at 50% charge to have less "punch" then one fully charged. As for the 5 vs 3.5 m/s, not only the altitude readings might not be completely accurate, but there are also atmospheric variables that come into play... air temperature and wind/currents being the first that come to mind.
Long story short, if your question is just whether it's expected from a P3S to climb at a slower rate when the battery is half-empty, then the answer is yes. Instead, if you want to start a discussion on how much slower the clim rate should be, then I would suggest you run a couple tests, exactly in the same spot, on a calm day, climbing from the same altitude and going up a good amount, noting exactly the battery charge level and the climb rate for each run.

Reactions: RodPad
Check your battery cell voltages, see if you have a cell lower than the rest.
put it in ATTI mode, and see if that makes a difference to eliminate if the software in P mode is an issue.
I guess if you are 5 seconds from a tree and 23 meters below the top it would make a difference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1