Skyzone Goggles and gopro field of view

Reaction score
I plan on investing in a pair of the new Skyzone goggles. I have a DJI AVL-58 (boscam). I plan on in the future building other aircraft and possibly use immersion.

I read somewhere that the Skyzone does not work well with immersion so... If I buy this then i'm pretty much dedicating my 5.8 fpv to Boscam/foxtech transmitters?

Also... Flying FPV through the gopro is hard on wide field of view. does anyone fly/record on narrow?

d4ddyo said:
I plan on investing in a pair of the new Skyzone goggles. I have a DJI AVL-58 (boscam). I plan on in the future building other aircraft and possibly use immersion.

I read somewhere that the Skyzone does not work well with immersion so... If I buy this then i'm pretty much dedicating my 5.8 fpv to Boscam/foxtech transmitters?

Also... Flying FPV through the gopro is hard on wide field of view. does anyone fly/record on narrow?

I bought Skyzone goggles recently and didn't have much luck pairing them to the Immersion 600tx. Lots of static etc and difficult to find a decent channel match. However, I bought a Fat Shark 250tx and am now getting better, but not great, reception. I've had 1.6km distance and fairly good vision from this setup, but I suspect getting a matching tx (Boscam/Foxtech) for the Skyzone would help no end.
Regarding FPV, I fly using the GoPro wide angle most of the time. The problem with the Skyzone is that the image doesn't fill the whole screen, so you end up looking at a wide, and squashed image with black bars top and bottom. You can solve this by switching the GoPro to 1440. The image will fill the Skyzone screen, but then you end up with footage that has to be doctored to fit a 16.9 screen.
The diversity on the Skyzone is good and I've gone as far as 1.6km with the right receivers, but for around town close flying, I just use the standard dipoles.

nzvideoguys said:
d4ddyo said:

I bought Skyzone goggles recently and didn't have much luck pairing them to the Immersion 600tx. Lots of static etc and difficult to find a decent channel match. However, I bought a Fat Shark 250tx and am now getting better, but not great, reception. I've had 1.6km distance and fairly good vision from this setup, but I suspect getting a matching tx (Boscam/Foxtech) for the Skyzone would help no end.
Regarding FPV, I fly using the GoPro wide angle most of the time. The problem with the Skyzone is that the image doesn't fill the whole screen, so you end up looking at a wide, and squashed image with black bars top and bottom. You can solve this by switching the GoPro to 1440. The image will fill the Skyzone screen, but then you end up with footage that has to be doctored to fit a 16.9 screen.
The diversity on the Skyzone is good and I've gone as far as 1.6km with the right receivers, but for around town close flying, I just use the standard dipoles.

God what a nightmare. I did find out that the GoPro outputs in 4:3 (at least from the back) probably because of the LCD back that is available and there is no switch for 16:9. UGH. But you didn't like the Skyzone?

I was thinking on another P2, no gimbal and use a regular 16:9 1080p FPV camera and fly the P2 only for sport FPV distance flying and i started a different thread because of that.

God what a nightmare. I did find out that the GoPro outputs in 4:3 (at least from the back) probably because of the LCD back that is available and there is no switch for 16:9. UGH. But you didn't like the Skyzone?

I was thinking on another P2, no gimbal and use a regular 16:9 1080p FPV camera and fly the P2 only for sport FPV distance flying and i started a different thread because of that.

I'd have been much happier with the Skyzones if there was a switch to make the video go full screen, no matter what mode the GoPro is shooting in. It's not real bad, it's just a bit strange spending hundreds of bucks on a pair of fancy goggles and you end up with a squished picture. Other than that, the PID is good, as I found the Fatshark's to be a tad too narrow. I only have my left eye. Lost the right eye in an explosion when I was 10, so it's quite critical that I can see all of the screen, not just part of it. I'm looking at getting some diopter adjusters to bring the image into focus.
Yes, you have my permission to call me a one eyed phantom pilot. ;-)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4