skyscraper thats over 400 ft tall.... if i take off from top is that ok ?

Reaction score
I am meeting with a builder in two weeks regarding droning a larger construction over 400 feet tall. i was wanting to get a birds eye over his own property launching from rooftop... Would the exemption allow for this ?

I remember in pilot school learning that the only time you are allowed to fly that close to buildings is when take off and landing is from them. technically i wouldn't be more then 100 feet above the building...

anyone have experience with this... I'm really looking for professionals who have done this and any recommendations.

We have insurance and a valid exemption in place, will be using a spotter, and all other available safety measures.

It's 400' over the point of ground/structure directly under the aircraft. In essence if you go straight up you could go 400' above the building. The moment you move out from the building you bust the regs.

I'd say be very conservative and get some GREAT images and video. Be sure to have a spotter on hand with a keen eye just in case you get a medivac heli or something else in the area and hit the deck if you do. SAFE flights :)

Reactions: charlieb4
Rules are 400' agl. (Above Ground Level) You wouldn't get a building changed in a court of law.

The way i interpert from reading that manual is 400 feet above where you're taking off from. So I would say you're good to go but you may want to get more experienced people to weigh in. Would be interested to know for sure myself as I think i'm going to start using my roof as take off/landing spot since dogs keep trying to eat my drone.

Manned aircraft won't be flying close to a structure that tall so you should be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, he will probably avoid manned aircraft but that is not what he is asking. He wants to know if HE can get into any trouble. I am very aware of a catastrophic fully charged battery failure out in the country. How would the FAA or a court view my case if It had plummeted 400' plus onto the street below and ruled he was flying illegally. Even IF no one was injured he could not get to the ground before someone found it and called authorities.

What makes this worse is that it is commercial since it is for a builder. It sounds like he has a Section 333 but does he have a pilots license? are his phantoms registered with a commercial N-Number displayed as large as practical? The blanket COA that comes with the Section 333 is only good for flights at or BELOW 200' Above <b>GROUND</b> Level (AGL) unless he also has a FULL "Certificate of Waiver or Authorization" (COA) which spells out that he is authorized to fly at or below 400' AGL within the full COA's designated boundaries.

Like others who wrote, this is my opinion. tryIng to cite any of our opinions will not stand up to a judge , jury, or the FAA. The only People who can give you a definitive answer that will stand up in a court of law works for the FAA. You can use this email link to ask them for an answer. Send an Email l

Last edited:
The way i interpert from reading that manual is 400 feet above where you're taking off from. So I would say you're good to go but you may want to get more experienced people to weigh in. Would be interested to know for sure myself as I think i'm going to start using my roof as take off/landing spot since dogs keep trying to eat my drone.

You interpret correctly;The rules are AGL, not MSL. However, if 400' puts the aircraft into controlled airspace (400 + 400=800) you're now in controlled airspace and depending on the airspace classification in that area, you may be in violation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj