SKYREAT Gimbal Guard

Reaction score
Being new to this hobby, I have noticed a number of posts regarding crashes that seem to almost always complain of a broken gimbal.
My question is whether a "Gimbal Guard", like this one on Amazon is highly recommended for a new pilot?

SKYREAT Gimbal Guard

Gimbal guards are a double edged sword. While there is a level of protection for the gimbal, they can also interfere with the underside sensors making the bird think it needs to avoid an object, or make it think it's on the ground. What frequently happens in the first case is that the bird takes off in altitude seemingly out of control. In the second case you hit down stick and the bird shuts off and falls from the sky. In many cases it's both, as the bird will take off vertically then the pilots reaction is to down stick (naturally) and then the bird shuts off.

I won't run one personally.

Guards like the SKYREAT gimbal guard will only protect your camera from a direct hit from below. The camera could still separate from the gimbal and become damaged on impact though. Since you have a P3S, you wouldn't need to worry about it interfering with sensors on your Phantom (since there are none).

Gimbal guards are a double edged sword. While there is a level of protection for the gimbal, they can also interfere with the underside sensors making the bird think it needs to avoid an object, or make it think it's on the ground. What frequently happens in the first case is that the bird takes off in altitude seemingly out of control. In the second case you hit down stick and the bird shuts off and falls from the sky. In many cases it's both, as the bird will take off vertically then the pilots reaction is to down stick (naturally) and then the bird shuts off.

I won't run one personally.
That wouldn't apply to a P3S because of the lack of collision avoidance sensors, correct?

I have a Guard on like that on my P3S & have no issues flying & it will give some protection . I have mine reinforced with wire tie wraps to make it more secure .

Attachments

• DSCN2756.JPG
    DSCN2756.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 291
That wouldn't apply to a P3S because of the lack of collision avoidance sensors, correct?

Correct - I missed the part that it was a P3S. I was speaking more in generalization since that's about the only one in the current lineup that doesn't have sensors.

Would the Skyreat interfere with the data downlink? I lost data a bunch of times and the only difference was I put on the carbon fiber gimbal guard.

Sent from my SM-N920P using PhantomPilots mobile app

. Mudder gimbal guard saved my P3A during a 60 ft. fall through the trees. It hard enough to snap off a zip tie and dislodge one side of the guard. Tip of one prop broken off was the only damage. Totally my fault, got distracted by the deer in the video. I have made well over 100 flights with this guard installed and have had no conflicts. I was lucky this time. I have another on order for my P3S.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav