Since I'm having ZERO problems with my Phantom, should I upgrade the firmware?

Reaction score
Big knock on wood after asking that question, but I'm having no distance issues, tilted horizons, screen lagging or the green and purple lines. Its been flying beautifully. Makes me hesitant to upgrade the firmware. Opinions appreciated.

J

Big knock on wood after asking that question, but I'm having no distance issues, tilted horizons, screen lagging or the green and purple lines. Its been flying beautifully. Makes me hesitant to upgrade the firmware. Opinions appreciated.

J
What would be fixed if you upgrade? What is the version you have?

Thanks guys, we are in the middle of moving so it will be tomorrow till I can tell you what firmware version it wants to install.

I'm with you no issues too. Everything works fine so no upgrade the firmware for me now. I'm waiting to see what happens with the firmware from DJI.

J

No, there is a new version coming out in the new few days that will resolve the issue of poor picture quality. I would wait till then.

Offical response from DJI Rep:

New Firmware for Phantom 4 v1.1.410

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-6 09:46
A fix will be available in the next few days. 1.4 is fine and you do not have to downgrade. You change change the color to None and the videos will not be blurry anymore.

Contrary to my better judgement the other day I powered up "Darth Videous," one of my P3 Standards. There were firmware, camera, & RC updates available. Folks who know me know I don't generally like to update. Here's why...

Download the update, switch back to P3 Wi-Fi, apply. At 60% I get "Update Failed! Restart Your Aircraft." I reboot, no lights, camera chirping, & constant LOUD beeping from ESCs. Power cycle, same thing. I notice the Phantom is still bound to the RC so I attempt the update a second time. Gets to 48% & freezes. Wait 10 minutes @ 48%. Power cycle. Still no lights & ESCs blaring. Still bound to RC so attempt #3. Gets to 12%, "Update Failed. Restart Your Aircraft." Getting annoyed because I'm thinking "Great now she's bricked. DJI is going to screw it up, lose my box, send it back packed in styrofoam peanuts, etc.."

Mind you the entire time (over an hour) this is going on the ESCs are blaring. There are 4 ESCs but only two of them squawk so the two sides must share a speaker or something. The squawking isn't in sequence so this is really becoming annoying like, "Hey dummy here I am taunting you because the DJI firmware update you normally don't install just put it right up in you. Haha!"

This time I don't restart the aircraft I just tell it to update again. Update gets to 48% & freezes. 3 dots after the percentage are frozen too. I wait for about 5 minutes and the dots start moving. Slowly it gets to 60% where it failed the first time. This time at 60% it flashes the camera/gimbal (did that first time right before it failed), but this time it goes on. I hear it flashing the ESCs one-by-one as they sound off. Finally at around 90% the RC battery lights turn off, the connect light flashes red, & I can tell it's updating. By Crom's grace after an hour and a half finally success & Darth Videous is spared an ignominious trip back to DJI.

So this is why I say, "If it ain't broke....leave it the f*** alone!"

J

Contrary to my better judgement the other day I powered up "Darth Videous," one of my P3 Standards. There were firmware, camera, & RC updates available. Folks who know me know I don't generally like to update. Here's why...

Download the update, switch back to P3 Wi-Fi, apply. At 60% I get "Update Failed! Restart Your Aircraft." I reboot, no lights, camera chirping, & constant LOUD beeping from ESCs. Power cycle, same thing. I notice the Phantom is still bound to the RC so I attempt the update a second time. Gets to 48% & freezes. Wait 10 minutes @ 48%. Power cycle. Still no lights & ESCs blaring. Still bound to RC so attempt #3. Gets to 12%, "Update Failed. Restart Your Aircraft." Getting annoyed because I'm thinking "Great now she's bricked. DJI is going to screw it up, lose my box, send it back packed in styrofoam peanuts, etc.."

Mind you the entire time (over an hour) this is going on the ESCs are blaring. There are 4 ESCs but only two of them squawk so the two sides must share a speaker or something. The squawking isn't in sequence so this is really becoming annoying like, "Hey dummy here I am taunting you because the DJI firmware update you normally don't install just put it right up in you. Haha!"

This time I don't restart the aircraft I just tell it to update again. Update gets to 48% & freezes. 3 dots after the percentage are frozen too. I wait for about 5 minutes and the dots start moving. Slowly it gets to 60% where it failed the first time. This time at 60% it flashes the camera/gimbal (did that first time right before it failed), but this time it goes on. I hear it flashing the ESCs one-by-one as they sound off. Finally at around 90% the RC battery lights turn off, the connect light flashes red, & I can tell it's updating. By Crom's grace after an hour and a half finally success & Darth Videous is spared an ignominious trip back to DJI.

So this is why I say, "If it ain't broke....leave it the f*** alone!"

The noise from the ESCs is not produced by a speaker - it's generated by pulsing the motors themselves.

Hmm. I'm not sure about that? The motors weren't moving but she sure was squawking loudly. Also they are able to alter the sounds from the aircraft which would lead me to believe there is a speaker or piezo onboard.

The noise from the ESCs is not produced by a speaker - it's generated by pulsing the motors themselves.

Hmm. I'm not sure about that? The motors weren't moving but she sure was squawking loudly. Also they are able to alter the sounds from the aircraft which would lead me to believe there is a speaker or piezo onboard.

The motors don't need to move - the ESCs send high-frequency pulses to the motors and the resulting vibration is emitted as sound. This was discussed ad nauseam back in the P2 days when people wanted to know how to disconnect the speakers or turn down the volume.

Very happy with mine, none of the common issues, so I won't be upgrading. Does anyone know if I can stay on the firmware I have now indefinitely or will I be forced to upgrade at some point.

DO NOT UPDATE... I was in the same spot as you are and I upgraded... After that I started to have all the stupid things... rolled back to v1.1.301 and DJI GO 2.8.1 and went back to normal !

DO not update, if everything works fine, you will destroy your phantom in more ways than 1.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So the worst that happens if I don't upgrade is the warning message in DJ I Go? I go on a big trip with the P4 tomorrow and I'm very happy with it as is. Won't upgrade if no I'll effects, like locking me out or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers