Simulators are more than just fun !

Great vid, Shrimpy, what controller are you using with the PC or Mac?

http://www.heli-x.net/download_e.shtml

Is this is some version of Heli-X, perhaps v4.5?
I see download of a free demo version at the link above.

What else do I need to buy, from where, to be able to try this training, please?

The simulator is called Heli-X. http://www.heli-x.info

Its much cheaper than the big boys sims like Realflight etc. There is a free demo available for PC, Mac or Linux. Make sure you grab the demo before shelling out any money. That way you can be sure it works on your system, with your controller etc.

I don't think there is any other simulator with a Phantom model as yet? Its much better having the phantom model as it trains you to recognise its orientation in the sky. I quite often send the sim way out so its a speck. Spin it around a few times and then try to recover it.

The sim is excellent so I would encourage people to give it a try. I should state I have nothing to do with the makers of Heli-X. I was just looking for a sim for my Mac and it was the only one I could find.

//www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F20951%5F%5FHobbyking%5F6CH%5FRC%5FFlight%5FSimulator%5FSystem%5FMode%5F2%5F.html

Has anybody tried Heli-X with this inexpensive HobbyKing faux RC controller?

Or, of the 4 listed at the Heli-X site, which is the best?

Heli-X is apparently multi-player capable, has anybody tried it?
Thanks, Gary

I would prefer to have a controller for the simulator that feels like the
one for the P2V, so that the control movements will become automatic,
and I will have less chance of crashing my new P2V.

So, two spring return to center joystick controls would seem to be
the minimum required. In this simulstor, what are the other 2 control
channels used for?

Does the Heli-X simulation of the Phantom attempt to have modes
to simulate the GPS Vision mode, or the attitude mode, or is it
just full, unaided manual control?

garygid said:
I would prefer to have a controller for the simulator that feels like the
one for the P2V, so that the control movements will become automatic,
and I will have less chance of crashing my new P2V.

So, two spring return to center joystick controls would seem to be
the minimum required. In this simulstor, what are the other 2 control
channels used for?

Does the Heli-X simulation of the Phantom attempt to have modes
to simulate the GPS Vision mode, or the attitude mode, or is it
just full, unaided manual control?

Without doubt the ideal setup would be to use the DJI controller to fly the simulator. Now that I modified my old DJI Tx I just tried to hook it up but nothing is read from the sticks in the sim. What a shame because the Tx clearly sends the signals to the phantom which can be read by the assistant software. This set me wondering.

I wonder if you were to connect the phantom to your PC via the assistant software with your Tx turned on. Then minimised or even shut down your assistant software. Would the Windows driver actually detect the stick movements of the DJI controller and allow you to fly the sim with the DJI controller ? I am a Mac user so this scenario rules me out as I there is no assistant software for Mac.

Clearly this should only be attempted with blades off if anyone were to try. It could be a real cheap way of flying a sim with the actual controller if it were to work.

DJI are missing a trick. They could add a remote port to the controller and supply a suitable cable for people to fly with sims. Lets face it they are going after beginners with the Phantom so what better way than to help customers to fly a sim.

Heres hoping :)

Sorry I forgot to answer your questions.

The Phantom model in Heli-X has two modes but it is not an exact copy of the real phantom. Select Idle up 1 and the phantom flys very similar to the real bird in GPS mode. There is of course no GPS simulation but it will just sit there if you have no wind on in the sim. If you have the wind turned on then it will drift unlike the real Phantom.

In idle up 2 it is a real handful to fly, just like the RC Helicopters you have to fly it all the time. This is excellent training though and if you begin to master it, which you will with practice, then flying the real bird becomes very easy.

As for the extra channels, my old PS3 controller makes no use of them. As I have said before, I can't get any of the buttons to be recognised by the sim but thats nothing to do with the sim, thats the limitation of tricking a PS3 controller to work with a Mac. :lol:

myvrodrocks said:
Why has nobody written a swapfile for Real Flight???

I wondered the same thing. I have been using the Gaui Quad (in Real Flight 7) which is harder to fly than the Phantom. If I can fly that in the simulator flying the Phantom is much easier. I think my flying skills are improving much faster because it is harder to fly and needs a faster response on the sticks.

I found a wired USB PS3 controller at Walmart for $15.00 that works just fine with Heli-X. I've tried it on both Mac and PC - works on both. I had to do some surgery to disable the $@#! vibrator, but that was just a matter of cutting the wires to the shaker motors inside the controller.

genoanv said:
I found a wired USB PS3 controller at Walmart for $15.00 that works just fine with Heli-X. I've tried it on both Mac and PC - works on both. I had to do some surgery to disable the $@#! vibrator, but that was just a matter of cutting the wires to the shaker motors inside the controller.

Figured it out

Peter

With reference to your PM, these are my settings for when I want to practice FPV

Attachments

• FPV View.jpg
    FPV View.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,102
Thanks Ken,

I have to say to everyone that I was a little sceptical to begin with, especially after I found that the P2 controller can't be used with this sim. However, Shrimpfarmer persuaded me to try and I have to say that I'm glad he did.

Firstly I found an old X-Box controller in my box of 'things that might come in useful one day', hacked the weird 'USB' plug off that, chopped the end off a standard USB cable, and soldered the two cables together (yes, the X-Box connection is just an ordinary USB wiring configuration + one extra wire!) Then I downloaded the trial version of Heli-X, got the X-Box controller working with it (with Shrimpafarmer's help) et, voila!

With its Phantom 'copter option, Heli-X is so good that I have now paid for the full version of it. I thought, "Hey, my new P2 rig is still several weeks away so why not practice with this in the meantime?"

Excellent, and highly recommended.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik