Simulator?

You'll be better off by actually practicing with your Phantom in a wide open location that is free of all obstacles.

Compared to ordering it from DJI's website, then figuring out how to update the firmware, controller etc the actual flying of it was actually the easiest part.

Totally agree with start in a wide open area and practice

I had no idea it existed at first, I tried it once and scratched my head.

As others have said, I'd just head out to an open area and try it out - it'll fly wherever you tell it to go.

I used quite a few times before taking my small maiden flight. The simulator could be more realistic, but it does accurately reflect the how the Phantom responds to flight controls. I'd recommend it.

I am more thinking about it for my son whom is 13. Not sure I want to put a new drone in his hand right away.

I used it for an hour or so. I found it useful for getting a feel for the controls and control combinations for making the drone rotate an object manually while keeping the subject in frame. It is a bit 'tacky' but useful for learning the controls. I'd say let him play with it until he gets bored with the simulator and then let him fly.

Reactions: GraceIsTheKey
I used it for an hour or so. I found it useful for getting a feel for the controls and control combinations for making the drone rotate an object manually while keeping the subject in frame. It is a bit 'tacky' but useful for learning the controls. I'd say let him play with it until he gets bored with the simulator and then let him fly.
Great idea/plan thank you. We probably will be better at flying then I will be. Thus my plan is to buy two of the same drones and gift him with one right after I think he is competent. #phantom4proX2

Lucky kid to get such a gift. These Phantoms are easy to fly but can create false confidence very quickly. Don't outfly your experience, that's where the trouble starts.

Reactions: GraceIsTheKey
You should know this exists, see below link. I have used the older plane/heli version of this software for years, for practicing complex manoeuvers with 700 size helis and still using today as lot of fun.

Budget permitting as you'll need to buy the version including interlink fake transmitter (DJI RC can't be used as far I know).

Some might say this will be wasted money and time, and nothing can replace real experience etc. Well it depends, will be fine for getting right stick movements, habits and practicing during bad weather.

Also embeed DJI sim is less funny and immersive than this one offering various crafts, scenery environments (incl. real fields photography), challenges and customizable weather conditions.

RealFlight Drone Edition

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1