Simulator nearly worthless

Reaction score
So, reading a couple of the other threads here I realize I can't really recommend sim time based on how little I've used it myself (desktop heli sim is another story). I'm thinking there are 2 fatal flaws with the built-in simulator that maybe we can pressure DJI to remedy:

1. WHY must the phantom be connected?! Am I missing a way to skip this? I'm 100 times less likely to pull the TX and iPad out and fly a few virtual laps if I have to also get the phantom and battery out. Can an iOS or android device not emulate whatever is going on across that connection?

2. Boring. Since it's a no-consequence simulator, how about some challenge? Obstacle courses, time trials, precision target tracking and landing. I'm sure they don't have a lot of development time to spare over there, but when you consider the increased eyes-on time for their app, maybe they'd be inclined to find some

Given those things, I might actually use the sim to run the TX battery down pre-recharge, which currently is an exercise in either nerves (flying with low TX battery) or patience (listening to that blasted "you forgot about me" beep every couple minutes).

Am I missing something? Has everyone just written it off as basically worthless?

Last edited:
Reactions: ikonane
Flying has become so easy with P3A/P that we really don't need simulators anymore. But there are newbies who have absolutely no stick experience they can get some experience using simulator.

DJI has designed simulator in such a way that it interact with settings which are set on Go App and they felt easy to simulate with the real aircraft connected.

Yeah I think they're using the actual FC in the phantom rather than emulating one. But...emulate one! I wouldn't think it difficult to sync a duplicate of the whatever settings are onboard. Heck that'd be nice to have anyway.

I see the ease of operation on these as all the more reason for newcomers to get virtual stick time in. Piloting a craft that can go any direction at any relative orientation is a little bit of a head trip that just takes time to "hard wire" to your thumbs....more if you're letting the computer do it most of the time.

I've never understood why the simulator universe is plain. And it doesn't show you a camera view. All you see is the drone take off, the disappear. Give us some kind of virtual camera view at least.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use the sim to bring down a battery further if need be, so at least it's a useful exercise. I really recommend the sim to anyone who hasn't flown the different smart and autonomous modes. It's a better idea to learn how to get into, set up, and fly those modes in the sim than it is during actual flight. It can also be useful to practice atti mode with different wind strengths. Not a total waste but I agree, it would be very nice to get some different scenes and surroundings for some interest and challenge.

I can see how the Sim would be helpful for a new pilot. Otherwise I think the Sim is boring and not very realistic in terms of flying/handling.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Hi
Being a newbie and interested in flying generally. I would say the sim is most disappointing , there are no what if what how should I do it. Even real experienced RWH and PPL holders benefit from pure sim time. This app should be strengthened as others have said with situations,challenges etc.
Failing that there are thousands of these P3 and variants out there why has no third party produced one. I for one would be happy to pay for a good sim. Not rocket science nowadays , incorporate the P3 into a game even, using the DJI controller set ups .
Come on someone . May save lives,money and give enjoyment to others and owners when weather conditions prohibit..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

AeroFly RC7 has a great simulator for both Mac and PC, you do need to get a controller as well.

You can fly FPV or from stationary position and move around on the ground even. It also has lots of other RC craft.

IMHO it is the best simulator, you can make it windy and gusty etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 07.42.08.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 07.42.08.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 582
Reactions: rene van der meer
Thanks
How does it interact with the P3 controller via an ipad?
I don't think it can! Bet it doesn't simulate any warnings or loss of signal issues either for example.

Thanks
How does it interact with the P3 controller via an ipad?
I don't think it can! Bet it doesn't simulate any warnings or loss of signal issues either for example.

It does not interact with anything DJI and no it does not simulate things like intelligent modes, it does teach you how to fly and how to fly w/o GPS in nasty windy conditions. It is great at teaching orientation. And you have to use a compatible controller, not the DJI one.

I think what gets most people into trouble is not understanding orientation and basic flying skills. Personally I never rely on GPS or the DJI radar to fly. I prefer flying atti and knowing what the wind is doing. This program is great at teaching those basic RC model skills. I use it also for practicing new RC planes and learning new 3D tricks, much cheaper than crashing real models. And the physics in this program are the best. You need a fast computer with a fast preferable 2GB memory graphics card.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
The simulator serves for noobs to know waht basically makes both sticks in the control for the rest it is useless

Hi Olof
Thankyou for taking the trouble replying. Actually it does look quite good and I hear what you say. The standard version supports few rotary wing acft . Not obvious whether the P3 is one of them? Will have to Google it and find out. So the physics engine is really good then? Do you think the next version is worth paying the extra, more scenes etc?

Still feel though there should be good built in simulator without hoop jumping.
Safe flying

Last edited:
I agree that the current simulator is very limited.

I do not agree that a realistic simulator has no added value because "flying is easy".
Look at all the posts of even experienced pilots that responded wrongly in a critical situation.
I personally bought a cheap Hubsan X4 to practice flying. But I would still like a realistic simulator with some challenging scenes,like suggested.
Maybe we can persuade DJI somehow?

AeroFly RC7 has a great simulator for both Mac and PC, you do need to get a controller as well.

You can fly FPV or from stationary position and move around on the ground even. It also has lots of other RC craft.

IMHO it is the best simulator, you can make it windy and gusty etc.
Thanks Olof.
Which version of Aerofly (standard, professional, ultimate) includes the DJI Phantom?

I used the simulator for about 3 minutes.

Then I decided to pick an unattended football field and practice there for the real feel instead.

The simulator has so much potential. It falls short and ends up being a very basic tutorial for newcomers.

As has been mentioned, it serves little purpose when you take off and quickly become a small dot on a featureless landscape with no point of reference.

The "map" view cannot be expanded to full screen. That alone would provide some usefulness.

One good feature is that many of the intelligent flight modes can be used in the simulator. This is a good way to test them out and see how they work. Again, the lack of viewpoints and frames of reference severely limit the sim's usefulness.

The sim can also be misleading. You are required to connect to the Phantom. There is a map view showing your local location. The map tracks the "virtual" position of the aircraft. This implies some things which are not accurate. For example, NFZs are not correctly represented in the simulator map. You can also fly into NFZs without any warning. If the point of the simulator is to "simulate" it is not doing its job.

It wouldn't take much for DJI to turn the current simulator into a real training tool which can showcase the features in a "safe" environment. As it stands, I have to agree that the sim is "nearly worthless."

The simulator has so much potential. It falls short and ends up being a very basic tutorial for newcomers.

As has been mentioned, it serves little purpose when you take off and quickly become a small dot on a featureless landscape with no point of reference.

The "map" view cannot be expanded to full screen. That alone would provide some usefulness.

One good feature is that many of the intelligent flight modes can be used in the simulator. This is a good way to test them out and see how they work. Again, the lack of viewpoints and frames of reference severely limit the sim's usefulness.

The sim can also be misleading. You are required to connect to the Phantom. There is a map view showing your local location. The map tracks the "virtual" position of the aircraft. This implies some things which are not accurate. For example, NFZs are not correctly represented in the simulator map. You can also fly into NFZs without any warning. If the point of the simulator is to "simulate" it is not doing its job.

It wouldn't take much for DJI to turn the current simulator into a real training tool which can showcase the features in a "safe" environment. As it stands, I have to agree that the sim is "nearly worthless."
I certainly agree. The question is: how can we persuade DJI to invest more in the simulator? Would a poll help?

You took my words from my mouth, I agree with you. Simulators is very good idea for practice, but only you can do is go up, leflt and right. Just basic skills wich you can learn in first flight. They need to add some trees, buildings, houses, birds, mountains and also make some competitions (online multiplaying will be great). DJI is a full of inovations, high level tehnology and I don't think that it would be a problem to bring the simulotor on higher lever. I need to admit that I was using a simulator two times and I was very relaxed with some movements, and when I really fly I am a little bit stiff, but it was just the free space (on simulator), so it will be good that we have some obstacles to get a real feel and skills.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj