Simple upgrade path to get FPV and increase range

Reaction score
Newcomer here coming from an AR Drone 2.0. ;) I recently ordered a Phantom 2 and GoPro with H3-3D gimbal that I am going to do some amateur videography with. :ugeek:

I would like to upgrade it with 2 goals in mind:
1) I want to increase the overall range from the remote control to the Phantom.
2) I want to have FPV displayed on a tablet or small screen with the same range that is achieved in the first goal (preferably with an attachment to the remote control and possibly via the GoPro, as long as I can still record).

I have no idea what to pick between flight controllers, iOSD mark II, iOSD mini, Lightbridge, Datalink, etc. :eek:

I do not care much for setting waypoints but wouldn't mind if that came with the package. I am also not a fan of goggles and would rather have a tablet or similar display.

I currently have a Nexus 7 2 that I would like to take advantage of (I noticed most of DJI stuff is for iOS, so I am open to 3rd party upgrades). Can somebody please suggest a relatively affordable upgrade path/kit?

Coming from an AR Drone myself, we were very limited with distance. Even with extenders, we got anywhere from 600-900 ft. Maybe a bit more.

The phantom is much longer than that stock!
Play with it first, then decide if you want to extend its range :)

dragonash said:
Play with it first, then decide if you want to extend its range :)

This is a good idea. I do still want the FPV though, and mentioned the range just incase it could be done in the same upgrade.

I have seen people mod their TX's with new bigger 2.4GHZ antennas but I've flow mine so far I used binoculars to see where it was using stock TX and RX.

I wouldn't bother with iOSD II, iOSD mini is perfectly fine for phantom...

As for FPV, most people I've seen (inc my self) have ImmersionRC 600Mw 5.8ghz (so doesn't interfere with 2.4ghz phantom controller RX/TX) Video transmitter and the DJI iOSD mini.

I plan on getting the Black Pearl monitor, its a no blue screen, and has RX installed.

There is also a cable online somewhere that connects iOSD VTX and GoPro/Gimbal so you dont have to solder anything, and with all that installed you can still record off of GoPro.

I get 2km with my stock Tx, others here get more (no antenna mods to Tx or Rx). So stock should be fine to start off with.

For FPV, I suggest going over to the FPV forum. It's just a few days old, and that's where the FPV discussions are.

You can look my posts to see what I use. Do the same for some of the mods in the FPV group. You want to be sure your FPV monitor and receiver play well together. Not all do.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik