Simple question about flight range/distance..

Reaction score
I recently bought a Phantom Vision 2+, so I'm very new to flying. I've made a couple of flights so far. All settings are as they would be right out of the box. 

I'm wondering if I take off from a spot, then either walk or ride as I fly. Will it basically have unlimited distance as long as I stay near within the stock controller range? Or is it only limited to a certain distance from its initial take off point? 

Hope my questioning is clear. Thanks for any help!

You could walk, but you would be limited by battery life. I wouldn't suggest trying to drive. Too easy to lose signal unless you were hanging out the passenger window as someone else drove. But no, you are not limited to where you take off in regards to distance.

If you are moving (walking or riding in a car) and reset your home point as you move, it seems very likely that you should be able to keep your aircraft aloft so long as you maintain a communicative distance between your RC and your aircraft. But if you do not reset your home point, with GPS, your aircraft will know it is beyond the designated range from home and, I believe, it will attempt to return to home when it reaches that threshhold. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts as well.

Honey Badger said:
I recently bought a Phantom Vision 2+, so I'm very new to flying. I've made a couple of flights so far. All settings are as they would be right out of the box. 

I'm wondering if I take off from a spot, then either walk or ride as I fly. Will it basically have unlimited distance as long as I stay near within the stock controller range? Or is it only limited to a certain distance from its initial take off point? 

Once you exceed your 'max distance' settings for distance or altitude from take-off point/location the a/c will stop and not allow control that attempts to exceed them. It will not return home for that reason alone. Note: These can be set farther than you have battery for so you could just set them to max if you wish.

Additionally, you can reset the takeoff point in flight if you wish thus 'leap frogging' along and essentially bypassing the max distance setting.

Honey Badger said:

I've been filming a bunch from a boat moving at 20mph. So i just went into the assistant and set max horizontal distance to 25,000ft. Problem solved.

Is there a limit to the max horizontal distance setting?

N017RW said:
Honey Badger said:

Once you exceed your 'max distance' settings for distance or altitude from take-off point/location the a/c will stop and not allow control that attempts to exceed them. It will not return home for that reason alone. Note: These can be set farther than you have battery for so you could just set them to max if you wish.

Additionally, you can reset the takeoff point in flight if you wish thus 'leap frogging' along and essentially bypassing the max distance setting.

How would I reset the takeoff point during flight?

From the DJI Wiki page:
( http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2-Flight )

"Quickly switching the S2 switch of the remote controller from upper most to lower most positions 3 to 5 times will reset the home point of PHANTOM 2. When the home point is set, you will see a series of rapid green blinks on the LED Flight Indicator. The definition of “home point” is:

i) The place the PHANTOM 2 returns to when the control signal is lost.
ii) The home point is used to calculate the horizontal distance between you and the aircraft, the distance will be displayed on the screen if using a wireless video transmission module."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj