Signs of iPhone or iPad overheating?

Reaction score
I live in the central FL area where it's typically 93F-98F pretty much the entire summer time. I've noticed on my iPhone 6 that once I start flying for maybe 10 minutes or so, the video feed starts to get choppy even though I show full signal on the HD meter. I wonder if I were to invest in an HDMI output module along with some HDMI input goggles would that eliminate my choppy video feed?

Can I assume this is a sign of my iPhone overheating? If so, I wonder if something like an iPad Air 2 would be able to handle the heat better? I don't mind sweating in our brutal summer season but FPV is very crucial to me and I can't have this continue to happen. The alternative is to wait for cooler weather which won't happen until October-ish.

Remember, RC can overheat as well, I know it does at 105F.

I live in the central FL area where it's typically 93F-98F pretty much the entire summer time. I've noticed on my iPhone 6 that once I start flying for maybe 10 minutes or so, the video feed starts to get choppy even though I show full signal on the HD meter. I wonder if I were to invest in an HDMI output module along with some HDMI input goggles would that eliminate my choppy video feed?

Can I assume this is a sign of my iPhone overheating? If so, I wonder if something like an iPad Air 2 would be able to handle the heat better? I don't mind sweating in our brutal summer season but FPV is very crucial to me and I can't have this continue to happen. The alternative is to wait for cooler weather which won't happen until October-ish.
live in florida too use a nvedia shild tablet no problems

just use nvedia shield k1 have no problems at all fly sometimes at our meetups for 6 to 7 hours sun allday no problems heard and seen apple tablets due overheat in sun

My iPad mini 2 with A7 CPU will overheat at around 90F ambient, but so far my iPad Air 2 doesn't. IPad mini 3 has the same A7 CPU, so I don't recommend that either. The mini 4 should work fine, it has the same CPU as the Air 2.

I had my Mini 4 shut down from overheating yesterday while flying a mission w/ Litchi. P4 did fine, completed mission and landed w/ no issues (minus having to take mini in the house and cool it down).

I never have had issues with my mini 4 and I fly in the 90s all the time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You'll decrease the chances of it overheating if you remove it from the case.

Reactions: John Locke
Mid 90's, but direct sunlight for probably 45 minutes and in a LifeProof case.
Yeah, try what msinger said. My iPad Mini 2 (uses the A7 CPU) would overheat in the 90's all the time without a case. I would often use my car air conditioner to cool it down for the next flight. That's a hassle. Then I got an iPad Air2 with the A8 CPU for Christmas. So far I've never had an overheating issue, and the iPad mini4 uses the same CPU architecture. You should be OK, but at the same time you should try to find shade so you can see the screen better, or get one of those umbrella chairs. After reading others about flying FPV from the car, I've started doing the same. Actually works pretty good, and it's nice to fly with the air conditioner going. :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31