signal loss warning since FW update

Reaction score
So, I recently updated to the most recent FW update and now when I fly I get a signal loss warning when I get about 130ft up and it goes into return to home. I cancel it and shortly after it does it again, after 2 times it seems to stop doing it, but now I am paranoid about letting it get to far out. I have read threads recently that the FW update actually damaged the hardware. If the hardware is actually damaged, would I still be able to fly it? I got this drone used last fall, so I don't expect DJI would do anything for me, but seems since their FW may have damaged it, that they should rectify it, is that too much to expect?

@mapwd1702
Terrible signal performance

I have many more bookmarks, this has happened to me twice, nobody has proved to me that they have fixed it with sending it in for repair. There was one recently that said he did, but he never responded on how bad it was when he had the problem. I will look for that thread later tonight, and ask him again, I will post a link here when I find it.

My bookmark collection is based on remote control signal and firmware not video or telemetry.

Actually I found it pretty quick, it was connected to this thread.
Phantom 3 standard Rc signal lost

Standard - Firmware issues

@Jake_The_Snake
We need an update, how bad was your signals, before you got it fixed? ;)

Rod

Just downgraded to 1.7.9 and still have range issue, and lost video mid flight. gonna reset RC/drone connection with the reset button under bird and see if that helps.

still can't figure out how to upgrade firmware of RC or battery like some on here have suggested. The RC of the standard does not have a USB port like the more advanced controllers

still can't figure out how to upgrade firmware of RC or battery like some on here have suggested. The RC of the standard does not have a USB port like the more advanced controllers
If your controller is connected to the drone AND the sd card has the lastest FW (*.bin) file, your controller/battery will get updated EVEN if the drone is already at the latest. I discovered this by sheer accident/frustration. Could link a new controller (with obsolete FW) to my drone but it wouldnt control anything. As a last resort I formatted my SD, copy the *.bin file to it, started everything up and got told I had an update. I approved the update and in less than 1 minute (unlike the actual time it took to update the drone) everything was done and my drone.

when I get about 130ft up and it goes into return to home.
Were you flying staight up? That's the worst way to fly a drone.
Don't fly staight up, let the drone go up in steps, fly away a bit, then go up a bit, and repeat.

I am not saying it is a problem when you lose RC signal at 130 ft. But when the drone is overhead, a slightest movement of RC will lose the RC signal and triggers RTH. RTH can be triggered very easily in this situation.

For instance, this was part of my flight logs from last week:
  • 15:50 80.9m 5m Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
  • 15:50 80.9m 5m Tip Tips__Signal Lost. Aircraft returning to Home Point
The drone flew back to me (home point) and started to auto-land, while I was orientating my RC to point to the drone, the drone detected another lost of signal.
The thing is not to panic now and cancel RTH. Back away from the drone to increase the distance between the RC and the drone, or tilt the antenna so the length of the antenna is facing the drone. You should be able to regain control very easily.

Last edited:
I am not saying it is a problem when you lose RC signal at 130 ft. But when the drone is overhead, a slightest movement of RC will lose the RC signal and triggers RTH. RTH can be triggered very easily in this situation.

For instance, this was part of my flight logs from last week:
  • 15:50 80.9m 5m Mode Mode changed to AutoLanding
  • 15:50 80.9m 5m Tip Tips__Signal Lost. Aircraft returning to Home Point
The drone flew back to me (home point) and started to auto-land, while I was orientating my RC to point to the drone, the drone detected another lost of signal.
The thing is not to panic now and cancel RTH. Back away from the drone to increase the distance between the RC and the drone, or tilt the antenna so the length of the antenna is facing the drone. You should be able to regain control very easily.

I agree that straight overhead is not the best for signal.
My point is that if it is working correctly, 400' overhead should work with no problem.

Your log information doesn't have any data. Height, distance, signal loss. I must be missing something. ;)

Rod

I don't think OP has a serious problem
Quote:
" I get a signal loss warning when I get about 130ft up and it goes into return to home. I cancel it and shortly after it does it again, after 2 times it seems to stop doing it"
All I am saying is it is normal, when the drone is flying overhead, it can become disconnected very easily by the slightest movement of the RC.
I lost my RC signal, when the drone was flying 80m above me, by me just moving my RC. But my drone flies perfectly fine once I moved away from the drone.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj