Signal Booster

I wish that DJI would just put connectors on the controller so we could decide what upgrades we wanted to screw on, so if we wanted to buy this unit above, we would be able to do it easily.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wish that DJI would just put connectors on the controller so we could decide what upgrades we wanted to screw on, so if we wanted to buy this unit above, we would be able to do it easily.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI would not be granted FCC Part-15 Type Acceptance with removable antennas using standard connectors.
Technically after any modification to the transmitter it is illegal to use without proper licensing. In some cases the modifications would not be legal in any circumstances. It's just not feasible to pursue enforcement, for now.

However it would not be a stretch to imagine that should someone be caught due to accident or other incident, and such illegal modifications exist, that such violations be 'added' to the list of charges sought.

DJI would not be granted FCC Part-15 Type Acceptance with removable antennas using standard connectors.
Technically after any modification to the transmitter it is illegal to use without proper licensing. In some cases the modifications would not be legal in any circumstances. It's just not feasible to pursue enforcement, for now.

However it would not be a stretch to imagine that should someone be caught due to accident or other incident, and such illegal modifications exist, that such violations be 'added' to the list of charges sought.

Somebody may want to inform Futaba, JR, Spektrum, etc., etc., etc. about that because every TX I own, and almost every one I have ever owned, has screw on connectors. Hogwash. No truth to that statement whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, as far as I know, DJI is the only major (now) manufacturer that makes such crap.

Reactions: John Locke
Somebody may want to inform Futaba, JR, Spektrum, etc., etc., etc. about that because every TX I own, and almost every one I have ever owned, has screw on connectors. Hogwash. No truth to that statement whatsoever.

As a matter of fact, as far as I know, DJI is the only major (now) manufacturer that makes such crap.

I love it when blow-hards get on chat forums and make such declaratory statements when they know little to nothing of what they speak.

You must keep up with the times and not stay rooted in the past. It is apparent you are not familiar with FCC Part-15 requirements.

To make it easier for you I have clipped Section 15.203:

Antenna Requirement

"Changing the antenna on a transmitter can significantly increase, or decrease, the
strength of the signal that is ultimately transmitted. Except for cable locating
equipment, the standards in Part 15 are not based solely on output power but also take
into account the antenna characteristics. Thus, a low power transmitter that complies
with the technical standards in Part 15 with a particular antenna attached can exceed
the Part 15 standards if a different antenna is attached. Should this happen it could
pose a serious interference problem to authorized radio communications such as
emergency, broadcast and air-traffic control communications.

In order to prevent such interference problems, each Part 15 transmitter must be
designed to ensure that no type of antenna can be used with it other than the one used
to demonstrate compliance with the technical standards. This means that Part 15
transmitters must have permanently attached antennas, or detachable antennas with
unique connectors. A "unique connector" is one that is not of a standard type found in
electronic supply stores.

It is recognized that suppliers of Part 15 transmitters often want their customers to be
able to replace an antenna if it should break. With this in mind, Part 15 allows
transmitters to be designed so that the user can replace a broken antenna. When this
is done, the replacement antenna must be electrically identical to the antenna that was
used to obtain FCC authorization for the transmitter. The replacement antenna also
must include the unique connector described above to ensure it is used with the proper
transmitter."

Now go take a second look at the offerings of other manufacturers granted FCC Part-15 Type Acceptance for their equipment and come back here and tell us what you have found.

Reactions: Bckmstr

DJI is in a funny position. Or, more accurately, it is has put itself in a funny position. It wants to be the 'Apple' of the UAV world. In otherwords, it sells an appliance. Appliances by nature and design are locked down to keep the magic smoke in and the stupid out (doesn't work, but engineers labor mightily). Futaba, et al, are selling stuff to a small (in the grand scheme of things) number of hobbyists. The FCC could go after them, but hasn't. Of course, if you as a recreational RC / UAV flyer and tinkerer would get a Technician's class Amateur Radio license, the vast majority of that stuff would be perfectly legal. You could conceivably learn something useful. And no more Morse code! Yeah.

Anyway, don't expect DJI to put RP-SMA ** connectors on the Phantom stuff.

** and the whole RP-SMA silliness exemplifies the way the FCC thinks about this stuff. The idea was you would use an unusual, difficult to get connector so individuals would not be able to modify Part 15 gear to go over established limits. That worked for about six months, or until a dozen shops in China started punching out RP-SMA connectors. Now it just serves to confuse a few people for a week or so.

"unique connector" is one that is not of a standard type found in
electronic supply stores.
Which, of course, worked for perhaps six months until the same shops in China that were punching out millions of SMA connectors geared up to punch out millions of 'unique' RP-SMA connectors.

I really don't understand the thinking about that. It was pretty weak sauce and they had to know it.

It looks to me like the Typhoon H uses SMA connectors on their RC, it's only been shipping a couple months. Something doesn't seem right here. There must be a loophole they are using to get through the FCC certification, a loophole that DJI "has choosen" to neglect, apparently.

It's not a big deal. Installing the Maxx "Clean Install" SMA connector kit in the OEM antenna holes isn't that hard.

It looks to me like the Typhoon H uses SMA connectors on their RC, it's only been shipping a couple months. Something doesn't seem right here. There must be a loophole they are using to get through the FCC certification, a loophole that DJI "has choosen" to neglect, apparently.

It's not a big deal. Installing the Maxx "Clean Install" SMA connector kit in the OEM antenna holes isn't that hard.

Might be a pre-release or for another region perhaps?

The Yuneec FCC filing for the ST-16 contains similar language as the DJI reports.

View page 13 of this document:
Radio Controller Test Report None Yuneec Technology Co., Limited

Of course this does not rule out tampering by the consumer as you have noted.

Not so.

The FCC ruled on these connectors back in 2000.
This predates DJI by over a dozen years..

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-00-1087A1.pdf
Well, no, I didn't mean to imply that DJI started or even was on the 'leading edge' of using RP-SMA. I think it fits with what the FCC wants and DJI's lukewarm support for hobbyists. Perhaps Yuneec has figured out that the RP-SMA horse left the barn a while back and you might as well be hobbyist friendly. *** Edit ** Looking quickly at the report, it appears that the Yuunec radio has permanently attached antennas. Is there anything else that says they use straight SMAs?

Today, you can get RP-SMA connectors in every shape, size and configuration by everyone from Mouser to A++++ would buy again MrDogdyPartsGoodySunshine's eBay store.

Last edited:
What vendor is selling Part-15 Type approved r/c xmitters with SMA antenna connectors of any sex?
The FCC filing specifically states that Yuneec's ST-16 meets Part-15 section .203. It states they are permanently attached.

I love it when blow-hards get on chat forums and make such declaratory statements when they know little to nothing of what they speak.

You must keep up with the times and not stay rooted in the past. It is apparent you are not familiar with FCC Part-15 requirements.

Thanks for the personal attack. I will take that under advisement.

You can quote all the rules you want to. I know what the 20+ TX's I own have on them, including the latest from Futaba and JR.

I too have older and non-part15 required equipment as well. Doesn't change anything.
As far as future advisement, put me on Ignore. I prefer that than to have ignorant critiques of my contributions here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.