Shutting down P2V in mid flight?

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me answer this.

If I have my drone way high and am performing a rapid decent by keeping the stick in fully down position, will this shut down the engine in mid flight? I know this is how I shut down the engine after it has landed. I test it out (w/o prop) while holding the P2V in mid air and it still shuts down the engine holding it 4 feet above ground.

Right now I've been doing it incrementally for fear of the engine shutdown in mid-flight.

Yes, yes it will. For real fun, take her up high, shut down the engines, wait two seconds then restart. If you're good, she'll recover from the free fall. :)

When I'm at any significant altitude I come down in wide spiraling circles to stay out of the wash. Straight down and you run the risk if entering vortex ring state (or settling with power). This is bad. To recover, you need to apply pitch or roll to start moving the aircraft sideways with respect to the rapidly approaching ground. Applying more power will only make you hit the ground faster.

yawnalot29 said:

If I have my drone way high and am performing a rapid decent by keeping the stick in fully down position, will this shut down the engine in mid flight? I know this is how I shut down the engine after it has landed. I test it out (w/o prop) while holding the P2V in mid air and it still shuts down the engine holding it 4 feet above ground.

Right now I've been doing it incrementally for fear of the engine shutdown in mid-flight.

No it will not shut down with the stick in the down position, unless it's on the ground or stationary (you holding it). The only way to shut it down while in the air is to perform the CSC command. I do full stick down all the time and have never had the motors shut down in flight.

Wow.. .. conflicting report... great!

I just got my P2V and had my first real flight yesterday, so I guess I won't be testing it out.

gfredrone said:
yawnalot29 said:

No it will not shut down with the stick in the down position, unless it's on the ground or stationary (you holding it). The only way to shut it down while in the air is to perform the CSC command. I do full stick down all the time and have never had the motors shut down in flight.

+ 1

No it won't shut down in flight if you hold the left stick fully down. It only does that when it's not descending or is on the ground. You may get prop wash though if you descend too fast.

The only thing that will stop motors in mid flight (other than a malfunction) is doing a CSC command.

4wd said:
If it's the same as the P1, and you have been into the software to change Intelligent Shutdown to Manual shutdown - yes you can stop it in the air by trying to descend as fast as possible - and bad things happen quick.

It's not the same as the P1 and you can't change that in the P2 assistant.

4wd said:
If it's the same as the P1, and you have been into the software to change Intelligent Shutdown to Manual shutdown - yes you can stop it in the air by trying to descend as fast as possible - and bad things happen quick.

Well, I am asking because I want to make sure the engine does NOT shut down while I am trying to decent.

So a little bit background....

Finally got all my gears ready and took it out for a flight. It was fairly windy but it did ok at around 30 feet height. So I took it up to 500 feet and I saw it getting push around good in the mid air. So I got worry and try to bring it down quickly. While holding the stick down, I am thinking "hey isn't this the same way I shut the engine down?" so I let go of the stick right away and started to doing it incrementally.

Anyway.. I was picturing it getting push around by wind and then being blown all over the place in air w/o power.

yawnalot29 said:
4wd said:

Well, I am asking because I want to make sure the engine does NOT shut down while I am trying to decent.

So a little bit background....

Finally got all my gears ready and took it out for a flight. It was fairly windy but it did ok at around 30 feet height. So I took it up to 500 feet and I saw it getting push around good in the mid air. So I got worry and try to bring it down quickly. While holding the stick down, I am thinking "hey isn't this the same way I shut the engine down?" so I let go of the stick right away and started to doing it incrementally.

Anyway.. I was picturing it getting push around by wind and then being blown all over the place in air w/o power.

I have come down many times from over 1000 ft with full down till I get around 100 ft or so then let her stop and continue down
:roll:
I am going to try soon going high doing a shut down and free fall then restart
I think this should work well for rapid decent.
as when I crashed in tree she was upside down and throttled up and flipped right side up and recovered

skyhighdiver said:
I am going to try soon going high doing a shut down and free fall then restart
I think this should work well for rapid decent.
as when I crashed in tree she was upside down and throttled up and flipped right side up and recovered

Let us know how it worked :shock:

Tripnman said:
Oy. My bad. I read the OP as asking if the CSC command would shut down the motors in flight. Sorry to give conflicting information.

OP just completed 3rd flight (3rd battery charge) today. So OP (me) would not be doing anything wild. :)

My prop is already pretty messed up because I am trying to get the $1200 back down to the ground.

:)

Man, this is a lot of fun but scary at the same time with these gusty wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20