Shutter speed

Reaction score
Anyone explain why my shutter speed goes as far as 120? I have nothing that look like 'seconds'? You know with this symbol "...?

Yeah no problem. Noticed my shutter speed for stills goes up to 8 seconds. And my video just says 60. Is themat 1/60th of a second? Basically I'm going to be shooting 1080p 60fps and want to no the correct shutter speed. Also I noticed I couldn't manually change the EV setting? Is there a way to do that?

Here

Attachments

• IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 801
In manual mode ("M"), you use the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture to control exposure. The ev setting is showing you the meter reading, much like a dslr.

If you change the top line from "M" to "Auto", you will be able to set an EV value but it will automatically adjust the shutter speed and ISO to achieve that.

If you have the "A" mode selected (aperture priority), you can select EV value and aperture and the shutter speed and ISO will adjust to get the correct balance.

If you select "S" (shutter priority) the shutter speed will remain constant while ISO and aperture change to keep the EV at the correct setting.

In video, it's impossible to have the shutter speed less than the frame rate or you would get a picture in only half of the image because the shutter can't open at the rate a whole frame is being recorded. In pictures, you are only capturing one frame at a time so you can theoretically leave the shutter open as long as you want to capture all the light onto the sensor.

Hope this helps clarify.

The ev setting is showing you the meter reading, much like a dslr.

If you select "S" (shutter priority) the shutter speed will remain constant while ISO and aperture change to keep the EV at the correct setting.
Not quite.
The EV value shown is a manual overide of the camera's exposure.
It allows you to set the camera to under or over expose by up to 3 stops.
In this screenshot, the camera has been set to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop.
i-fM6knt2-M.png

In manual mode ("M"), you use the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture to control exposure. The ev setting is showing you the meter reading, much like a dslr.

If you change the top line from "M" to "Auto", you will be able to set an EV value but it will automatically adjust the shutter speed and ISO to achieve that.

If you have the "A" mode selected (aperture priority), you can select EV value and aperture and the shutter speed and ISO will adjust to get the correct balance.

In video, it's impossible to have the shutter speed less than the frame rate or you would get a picture in only half of the image because the shutter can't open at the rate a whole frame is being recorded. In pictures, you are only capturing one frame at a time so you can theoretically leave the shutter open as long as you want to capture all the light onto the sensor.

Hope this helps clarify.
You got it all pretty much right on the money here juicedrummer! Just wording that meta4 is talking about in your statement about EV showing you the meter reading. It's basically showing you what level you are exposing under or over what the meter is reading based on your settings. Good info man!

All good info here guys, thanks. So can I change the ev in manual modes? simple answer here, and another one, what number do I set the shutter speed to if im shooting 1080p 60fps? 120?

All good info here guys, thanks. So can I change the ev in manual modes? simple answer here, and another one, what number do I set the shutter speed to if im shooting 1080p 60fps? 120?

I don't believe you can. Have to be in one of the other three modes to change EV value manually.

Typically shutter speed is set to double the frame rate for video, so to answer your question yes. However, it can be used stylistically at higher rates than that. But rule of thumb is double frame rate.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
In manual mode (while sticking to your fixed shutter speed) you adjust exposure by changing the f-stop.
If it get's too dark and f-stop is wide open already you can change the ISO setting.

EV values are basically for Auto modes to show you how much over or under you are based on camera deciding at set settings. But in manual mode you are doing the same thing by changing one of the exposure components. But it does not say EV most likely now. And yes, double the shutter speed of whatever frame rate you are using is the best to get the cinematic nice blur to your footage. So at 60fps, yes 120th of a second is perfect! If you were shooting at 30fps then 60th of a second is the sweet spot.

Reactions: juicedrummer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31