Shutter speed 2X Frame rate

Reaction score
I knew this but for some reason I totally forgot. I was wondering why my videos were looking choppy. So in researching youtube I ran across the formula "shutter speed 2X frame rate". So I tested it below. What a difference. I had to use a ND16 to get the exposure close. Shot in 4K @30 FPS. Down-sampled to 1080.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

So I tested it below. What a difference.

Nice job - when you can get that sharp an image with all those leaves/branches/needles you have to be doing something right!

Great looking "homestead"!

What do you mean they were choppy? The original videos in 4k30 from the aircraft SD card were choppy?
Not my video ... the video was shot 4K / 30 fps with 60 shutter speed

In the past I was adjusting the shutter speed to correct the exposure ignoring this rule. This explains it well.

Yep! I'm a filmmaker, it's what we call 180 degree shutter. Cutting the shutter is anything less than that. General rule of thumb is always 1/48s to 24fps. So if you're shooting 60fps, your shutter should be 1/120, or as close as possible. Motion blur is your friend for creating cinematic shots, as it's very close to how we perceive things with out eyes.

A more in depth explanation:

Yeah, golden rule: Never adjust your shutter speed when shooting video to add/remove light; only to affect motion.

Use ND to block light, bump ISO to add light (in a pinch) and your results will be much better.

Shutter at 2x frame rate is a good rule of thumb to get you motion that's more cinematic - a bit of appropriate blur for fast-motion.

Speeding up the shutter much beyond that freezes motion in a very unrealistic way. think: blood spatters. It's an effect some actually go for... Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yup incredibly smooth video with the shutter at 2x the frame rate.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Still looks choppy to me, seams to refresh or something, mine does it too. Anyone know why?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did some late afternoon video in 2X this past weekend and was pleased with the results but I will have to double check my settings. Thanks for the information.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic