Showing GPS location on P3 video recording

Reaction score
Hello

For work, I am using drone to analyze stream erosion by taking videos with a P3. it would be extremely useful to know the current GPS location where the drone is sitting in the video. I have read that this information may be stored in a in a srt file on the sd card but when I look there are only video files with no associated srt files. Is there a setting i need to enable to store srt files?

Hello

For work, I am using drone to analyze stream erosion by taking videos with a P3. it would be extremely useful to know the current GPS location where the drone is sitting in the video. I have read that this information may be stored in a in a srt file on the sd card but when I look there are only video files with no associated srt files. Is there a setting i need to enable to store srt files?
When you record video, separate SRT files are created when the video caption option is enabled in the app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: JoBe
When you record video, separate SRT files are created when the video caption option is enabled in the app.

But when I check the SD card there are only video files and no SRT files

Reactions: Dronerman
In Dji GO, on the main 'camera view' screen, on the right side of the screen, where you change from Photo to Video, just above that is the word 'Menu'.

Click the word 'Menu' and a window will pop up. At the top of the window, click the Gear icon. Just below the word 'Histogram' it says 'Video Caption'. Slide the button to the right to turn that ON.

BTW, everything has to be ON and connected, as in RTF (except no props would be a good idea). Power on Controller, power on or wake Device, power on Quad, start Dji GO, click 'Camera' button.

Just a quickie ... many video editors will not show the SRT info on the video when processing / editing. So check that your Video Editing software can link the video and srt file. Particularly if you are cutting / editing ... to maintain coordinated info.

Nigel

Just a quickie ... many video editors will not show the SRT info on the video when processing / editing. So check that your Video Editing software can link the video and srt file. Particularly if you are cutting / editing ... to maintain coordinated info.

Nigel

I use VLC which I know can play srt files. At first i was using quicktime to review the footage and it was extremely jittery, switched to vlc and it ran smooth af

I use VLC which I know can play srt files. At first i was using quicktime to review the footage and it was extremely jittery, switched to vlc and it ran smooth af

VLC is a great player, I particularly like that it's on all of today's relevant OS platforms, and can/will play almost anything!

Nigel was referring to video editor apps/programs - to remind us that not all editors can sync SRT files to the video while editing... a good point that I hadn't thought of. I'm still searching for the right editor to use with my aging hardware.

VLC is a great player, I particularly like that it's on all of today's relevant OS platforms, and can/will play almost anything!

Nigel was referring to video editor apps/programs - to remind us that not all editors can sync SRT files to the video while editing... a good point that I hadn't thought of. I'm still searching for the right editor to use with my aging hardware.

Thanks that's correct ... its no good having srt files if you cannot edit / cut in synch with the video file its associated with.

Nigel

You can use dashware to show that info. Here's a video a made when experimenting with it:

Reactions: Neon Euc
As an FYI, I discovered that VLC will not run 4k videos on my windows laptop and desktop. Apparently this is a known issue? However, I found that the native windows player on both devices would run 4k successfully. Go figure.

You can use dashware to show that info. Here's a video a made when experimenting with it:

Du Screen recorder will record tablet screen and you decide with GO / Litchi what to display.

Nigel

Wish I could do that... I tried, never got it to work.

As an FYI, I discovered that VLC will not run 4k videos on my windows laptop and desktop. Apparently this is a known issue? However, I found that the native windows player on both devices would run 4k successfully. Go figure.

I have two similar laptops running on my desk ... side by side.

The Lenovo is my works one and inbetween hobby stuff - I work .... that will run 4K in VLC ... Win 10 64bit.

The one I am typing on now Acer ES-15 Win 10 64bit will run 4K on VLC but it locks up. Windows Media Player though is fine.

One of the problems when it comes to AVI or MP4 which actually is AVI ... is the various forms UNDER that 'hat' ...

Saying MP4 .. or AVI ... is like saying Ford. It covers many ... if you scroll through a video conversion program you can see the different versions under that banner available...

The biggest bugbear for me is not VLC or PC ... its my TV ! I have an AVI file to play ... it says file unsupported. I put it through converter saving back as apparently same ... then it plays !! (Note that my TV's usually play all - its just odd files).

Nigel

video "FORMAT" is confusing, right? That is because there are lots of acronyms lumped into that and many are the same thing - sort of. These are FORMATS, but they don't describe the same thing.
CODEX, CONTAINER, COMPRESSION, ...........
Most video players don't bother to sort them out and if the file isn't exactly what they are looking for they can't play it. That is why a seemingly identical file after "CONVERSION" will play. I use VLC exclusively, because it seems to be able to sort out the file and play it regardless. This post will help you understand it.
An Overview of Internet Video File Formats - Video Containers
Once you get that you can google more to get really confused.
M4V , MP4 and MPEG4 are the same thing but some players don't know that.
An M4V is Apple's CONTAINER, but simply changing the extension to MP4 or MPEG will allow it to play in a player that refuses to play M4V files. CONTAINERS facilitate web distribution and really have little to do with what you think is a FORMAT, IE the stream of data in the file.

To follow on from srt ...

srt files can be opened with Notepad ... do not use any program that adds hidden coding or form .. it must remain as plain text.

Before editing - I suggest making an original copy and save to another folder just in case.

You can now edit the lines but keep same spacing and layout.

Save the file keeping its original name etc. in the same folder as the video file.

Now you need a video editor such as Handbrake or WIN HD Converter ... they can add the srt file to the video creating a single video file ready for full editing. WIN HD can do all the job actually through to final video for youtube or whatever.
Or use simple Movie Maker once the video file and srt are merged.

Note that the srt cannot be removed from the merged file .... so if needed keep the original non-merged files.

Nigel

But when I check the SD card there are only video files and no SRT files
when you turn on the option it will only make those srt files for any new videos you make after. it wont go back and add the files for old videos already done before you turned on the option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers