Show your night pictures/settings

Reaction score
Wanted to see some good night pictures, especially of the moon. Can the pv2+ take good night pictures and what settings are best? I wanted to take a picture of the moon tonite but every time I take one all I see is a bright light. Any suggestions on the settings? Is there a shutter speed on the app? (Not home at the moment so can't check)
Thanks!

I took a number of photos of the Super Moon on 9 Sept but they didn't come out great. Without a good zoom I'm not sure if the P2+ can get a very detailed pic, Even if the moon was 31,000 miles closer that night!!!

I assume you do not just want the moon in the picture, but also the landscape. Because the moon is so much brighter than any landscape below and because the camera sucks in low-light conditions, the moon is likely to be overexposed and be just a large white blob in the photo with a very dark landscape below (if it even shows up in the photo). Also, the moon would have to be pretty low in the sky to get it into frame because you cannot aim the camera upward, and the lens the camera has will probably make the moon appear extra small. If you want a nice photo of the moon, I suggest just using a regular digital camera that has a zoom and leave the UAV at home. It was never meant for that. I think you can make some ISO adjustments in the camera for better sunsets, but that is basically just a tweak of the lighting. I don't think it will help when it comes to photographing something as bright as the moon in a totally dark environment.

For a 'landscape' moon shot with any camera you are often best to catch it while there is still some light at dusk.
In general for low light you'd go for higher ISO, however ISO400 is going to be quite grainy.
I would probably try ISO200 or leave it on auto and hope for the best.
At least with the V+ you can try a few options changing the settings while still in position.
With video using the narrow setting would make the moon somewhat larger in frame but this does not affect stills, it will always be a small speck so you would need to crop the frame a fair bit.
Then exposure. The moon is actually quite bright, it is reflecting sunlight after all.
To see any detail on the disc that means you need an exposure setting not that different to taking a daylight scene.
At standard exposure the camera will be trying to make a dusk scene brighter so it might be best to set it almost on the lowest negative value (-2 I think).

To summarise, worth trying but don't expect much compared to what you can do with a proper camera.
Don't forget the composition rules of a good landscape shot apply so you want something else of interest in frame like a church tower or interesting tree. A floodlit building might be good, water reflections would be worth seeking out too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1