Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

  1. DougS

    Mar 9, 2016
    Likes Received:
    I am going to purchase my first DJI, I've had the Beebop from Parrot, and want to jump on the P4. However, given all the horrors I've heard with customer service at DJI, does it make sense to wait until the first couple of firmware / software updates are released? Are their first versions usually buggy?

    Perhaps you can tell me what your experience was with their first version drones incorporating new technology (like obstacle avoidance). Also, I understand no SDK has been released to allow developers to update and test their apps. I assume those first versions will contain bugs as well.

    So... buy the bleeding edge...or wait a few months?
  2. msinger

    Approved Vendor

    Oct 30, 2014
    Likes Received:
    Harrisburg, PA (US)
    If you want to play it safe, you should probably buy a Phantom 2 (or even a Phantom 1). Those models are more stable than the Phantom 3 and (mostly like) the yet to be released Phantom 4. This is a very complex flying machine. Expecting perfection is not realistic.
  3. QuadBart

    Jan 28, 2016
    Likes Received:
    When it comes to tech, I'm no early adopter. I wait a bit to hear and read reviews of shortcomings. IMO, if you aren't in a hurry, wait a couple months after the P4 has been out before buying one. See if it lives up to the expectations or at least your expectations...
    DougS likes this.
Similar Threads - Should wait purchase Forum Date
Should I wait for P5 or buying P4P/P4R? Phantom 4 Pro Discussion May 24, 2017
Should I buy a P4 now or wait? Phantom 4 Discussion Aug 15, 2016
Should i wait for the next inspire platform Other DJI Multi-Rotors Aug 6, 2016
getting close to buying a P4 should I buy one or wait Phantom 4 Discussion Aug 4, 2016
Should I wait for after CES to order? Pro/Adv Discussion Jan 5, 2016