Should the "Control switch mode" show GPS an an option?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a problem, as I've only just got my Phantom 2 and not yet done a flight, but in the Phantom 2 Assistant software I was pretty sure that the "Control switch mode" was showing GPS on the left i.e Up position on the switch.

But I did a software upgrade (not sure if it was really necessary as it already seemed to have the same version in the Phantom, but thats another question)

Anyway, I'm now not seeing GPS as an option.

it just reads

Normal Fly | Failsafe | Normal Fly | Failsafe | Normal Fly

Have I somehow lost GPS mode?

The only one of these that seems configurable in the software is the last "Normal Fly" on the right, on which there is a drop down menu, where I could select Failsafe instead.

Have I somehow disabled the GPS option.

As far as I can tell the GPS is working OK. ie I did the compass calibration and after a while I get long green flashes, which I though indicated GPS was working.

I'm now worried that if I attempt to fly the Phantom that GPS is somehow not working or at least its not going to be in GPS mode.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

Thanks

I think in DJI language that 'Normal Fly' is probably GPS as it's most common used mode.

I don't think there is a problem as mine shows the same.

At the top banner of the Assistant there is a two choice drop down menu. Either Phantom 2 or Naza-M. That choice determines what the switches become.

Thanks for the replies

I may have inadvertently switched from Naza M to Phantom, as this appears to now be controlled by a button rather than a 2 option drop down menu.

The button currently has the text "Phantom" on it, but if I push it, it brings up a warning message about switching to Naza M mode, which the text seemed to say should not be switched to unless you were an experienced pilot.

Anyway, I presume I can switch back to Phantom mode, so perhaps it won't do any harm to double check the menu options in Naza M mode ???

Thanks

Roger

Edit.

Just switched to Naza-M mode, after reading one of the postings about "fly away" and looks far superior to regular "Phantom" mode.

I'm not sure why they have this hidden all these options on the Phantom 2, , e.g. by default IOC seems to not be controllable via the switch on the controller, and I'm not even sure that it would be possible to engage attitude mode.

BTW. I watched a youtube video for the latest Phantom 1 firmware update, and it seemed to suggest that there were configurable flight distance and altitude limits available, and also GPS waypoint flying.
However in the Phantom Assistant software even in Naza M mode, I can't see these.

Is there a separate dedicated Naza-m config program thats compatible with Phantom 2? I can only see this as a Phantom 1 download

RogerClark said:
Edit.

Just switched to Naza-M mode, after reading one of the postings about "fly away" and looks far superior to regular "Phantom" mode.

I'm not sure why they have this hidden all these options on the Phantom 2, , e.g. by default IOC seems to not be controllable via the switch on the controller, and I'm not even sure that it would be possible to engage attitude mode.

BTW. I watched a youtube video for the latest Phantom 1 firmware update, and it seemed to suggest that there were configurable flight distance and altitude limits available, and also GPS waypoint flying.
However in the Phantom Assistant software even in Naza M mode, I can't see these.

Is there a separate dedicated Naza-m config program thats compatible with Phantom 2? I can only see this as a Phantom 1 download

DJI-Innovations suggested with the early Phantom 1's Intelligent Orientation Control was something to be used after new flyers became familiar with the flight characteristics without IOC first before enabling IOC via the software. That suggestion seems to be continued when changing from the default setup of the Phantom 2 to the Naza-M mode of operation.

The geofence parameters were apparently added in a firmware/software update as a response to reported flyways. The geofence operation was improved with yet another firmware/software update when there were reports of losing control of the Phantom upon hitting the geofence limits.

The Phantom 2 Assistant may not have the geofence because a second receiver antenna was added to the Phantom 2 possibly reducing the incidence of flyways and reducing the need for geofence limits.

Since the Phantom 2 is "dual personality" of Phantom 2 and Naza-M V2 there are two manuals required to find all the details of operation. Check here for all the relevant manuals and downloads:
http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/

I don't believe the Assistants from a Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 are interchangeable. While similar, there are considerable changes between the models and in my opinion DJI does not wish (or is unable) to create a single universal assistant for different Phantoms and Phantom controllers. In addition, there are not identical PC and Mac versions.

At the time of this writing, firmware/software is not available for the Bluetooth Unit, which may (or may not) be related to the waypoint flying you're interested in.

@ Buk,

Thanks for the explanation.

As being a real "noob" to the Phantom, its a bit confusing as most of the information online, including Colin's totorial videos (that were taken down, but seem to have been re-uploaded to YouTube) etc, are all for the P1, which seems to have the Naza M mode operation on by default.

And most of the video's I've seen about setting up the "Assistant" SW are also for the P1, and I presumed that the P2 had everything that the P1 had.

The bluetooth / groundstation / waypoint stuff etc isn't that important to be right now, but I wanted to make sure that if the P2 had "Flight limits" that I knew what they were.

Thanks

Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20