Should I update?

Reaction score
Have P3A had not flown since July 4th until tonight. Noticed it says I need a firmware update. Looks like there has been two updates since my current version. Think I am at 1.10 from august or sept of 2016. Anyway I may have updated the DJI Go app recently. I was looking at some release notes from the first of the 2 updates I haven't installed... it was basically more restrictions for flight management of No-fly zones and restrictions on flight without the DJI go app. Hey I am really not interested in putting more restrictions on my copter. I manually keep track of no fly situations. I do not fly within 5 miles of an airport unless my max altitude is less than 25 ft above the current terrain and buildings. Anyway I have not found the information on what they did in the latest 1.4 upgrade. Probably just more restrictions on top of that. My phantom flies great and is rock solid. No issues whatsoever. I have not even had to caliberate my compass since last September. If my copter points north on the DJI go app I figure its fine unless the app tells me I need to caliberate. I think many problems are people who get corrupted calibrations. Anyway... its rock solid. Is there ANY advantages to upgrading from 1.10 to 1.4? Experienced pilots or techs please advise. My strong inclination is to stay on the firmware I am running now. If its not broke... don't fix it.

Reactions: Guitarman
My phantom flies great and is rock solid. No issues whatsoever.
My humble opinion is that your phantom already flies great, is rock solid, and has no issues whatsoever. Dont let your next post potentially then add, "until I updated and now it..."

Last edited:
Last edited:
Have P3A had not flown since July 4th until tonight. Noticed it says I need a firmware update. Looks like there has been two updates since my current version. Think I am at 1.10 from august or sept of 2016. Anyway I may have updated the DJI Go app recently. I was looking at some release notes from the first of the 2 updates I haven't installed... it was basically more restrictions for flight management of No-fly zones and restrictions on flight without the DJI go app. Hey I am really not interested in putting more restrictions on my copter. I manually keep track of no fly situations. I do not fly within 5 miles of an airport unless my max altitude is less than 25 ft above the current terrain and buildings. Anyway I have not found the information on what they did in the latest 1.4 upgrade. Probably just more restrictions on top of that. My phantom flies great and is rock solid. No issues whatsoever. I have not even had to caliberate my compass since last September. If my copter points north on the DJI go app I figure its fine unless the app tells me I need to caliberate. I think many problems are people who get corrupted calibrations. Anyway... its rock solid. Is there ANY advantages to upgrading from 1.10 to 1.4? Experienced pilots or techs please advise. My strong inclination is to stay on the firmware I am running now. If its not broke... don't fix it.

No I bought this copter this spring... I think it was in March I calibrated my compass. Went to a field and stripped off all the metal on my body and in my pockets. Now if the copter is properly oriented on my DJI go map to magnetic north and no calibration warning displayed in the app I fly. So far its been a good decision. The copter operates flawlessly. I did upgrade to the most recent firmware and controller in March. Really not interested in doing another update unless I gain some benefit. I do not have a part 103 so am not committed to any stringent flight restrictions due to recent court decisions.

By the way, 1.11 is the latest AC FW. 1.4 is circa late 2015.

Well the Go app is telling me there are upgrades. The upgrade process horrifies me. Worried about a problem during or after the upgrade process and do not want to introduce more restrictions on my freedom to fly. Anyway.... unless somebody convinces me there is a very good reason I am going to stay on the version from fall of 2016

Well the Go app is telling me there are upgrades. The upgrade process horrifies me. Worried about a problem during or after the upgrade process and do not want to introduce more restrictions on my freedom to fly. Anyway.... unless somebody convinces me there is a very good reason I am going to stay on the version from fall of 2016
Don't do it. If there is nothing wrong with your bird... There is nothing new (other than add problems) that a firmware update will do for you.

Nope. Use Litchi if you don't want to keep getting nagged about it....

I have had mine for 2 days and it's prompting me to up grade as well. I bought it refurbished from DJI. I'm surprised they didn't do it. From the nightmares I've read on this forum I'm not doing it. My drone is flying like a dream.

What the latest updates have is not beneficial to any drone function. The added things have to do with restricting flights. Hence, not interested.

Reactions: Newbieguy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik