Should I update my firmware?

Reaction score
I'm having no problems, got the new Phantom in last week. But I just read a post about a battery causing a crash due to firmware not being updated. My drone flies great and I hate to risk it. Your opinions are appreciated.

new firmware update was for cold battery temps I wouldn't due it if it good leave it alone that is what I due

But I just read a post about a battery causing a crash due to firmware not being updated.
This was a Phantom 4 issue? I know it could occur if using firmware 1.5 on a Phantom 3.

Find out a reason to update

Reactions: JWarren
All old Phantom 4 firmware is safe to use. There really is not reason not to upgrade to the latest version though. It's a stable build.

And, before someone comments on this post, I know there are some people on here who have a great unfounded fear of upgrading :D

All old Phantom 4 firmware is safe to use. There really is not reason not to upgrade to the latest version though. It's a stable build.

And, before someone comments on this post, I know there are some people on here who have a great unfounded fear of upgrading :D

Well.. I don't have an unfounded fear of upgrading. The facts speak fro themselves...

- Version 310: My P4 units was rock solid.
- Updated to 410: I started having problems with gimbal and altitude loss when stopping.
- Downgraded to 310: everything perfect.
- Upgrade to 411: Gimbal again tilting and now the drop in altitude is RIDICULOUS... and not only that, after the altitude loss, it starts to climb indefinitely until I do somehitng.
- Downgraded to 310: Working perfectly, not a single foot lost, and my gimbal is as straight as it can be.

* I tried all types of calibrations, and reset to factory combinations... always same result. I am not in 310 because I like loosing my time upgrading and downgrading...

Soooooooo.... should you update to the latest firmware ? Yeah, why not... give it a try, but if it doesn't behave as it should... go back to what was giving you a good performance. In my case, 310.

should you update to the latest firmware ? Yeah, why not... give it a try, but if it doesn't behave as it should... go back to what was giving you a good performance. In my case, 310.
That makes perfect sense.

I was referring to people who reference famous phrases like "if it's not broken, don't fix it" when someone asks about updating the firmware. That kind of logic makes no sense to me.

The problem is when after an upgrade plenty of people start having problems... for example what happened with the DJI GO 2.8.1.

Or these problem with the altitude loss...

I like to try and see if things work, but having seen the mess that we had to dealt with lately... I am sorry, but I am not gonna do any type of upgrade until at least I see that people are not crashing their Phantoms with future software versions.

I am sorry, but I am not gonna do any type of upgrade until at least I see that people are not crashing their Phantoms with future software versions.
No need to be sorry. That's what I do myself. I always recommend people wait a few days to see how new firmware updates perform before installing it if they are not into experimenting.

Reactions: Ovt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic