Should I start an aerial photography company with a P2Z?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this is completely random, but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place right now and need your help. Me and a buddy want to start a photography company, and take photos of buildings and homes that are for sale, as a service. My main questions to you all are...

Is the phantom 2 with h3-3d and a gopro hero 3 plus a professional enough tool to use in a situation like this?

Should I even continue on with this idea or are there already enough big dogs out there that would squish me like a bug?

And also what are some other applications for using a phantom in this industry other than houses and buildings...

Thank you so much for your insight, as I know this is a very random topic.

Thanks, David!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may need a licence depending on what country you live in. Here in the UK you do.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

If your in the uk have a look at this site

http://www.resource-uas.co.uk/

Lots of red tape and very expensive for the courses, if it was easy though everyone would be doing it.
I hope you find the info useful and good luck to you if you decide to go ahead, if you do I'm sure it would be all worth it in the end ;)

yeah it's good enough for that application. wedding photographers giving it a try too. Real Estate Market love it. Here in the US it's pretty new.

Here in the US, it's temporarily legal (at least on a federal level). At least until the outcome of the FAA appeal. In certain states, or municipalities, it may be regulated or banned outright. In Honolulu, flying a model aircraft anywhere other than one of nine crappy parks in the middle of nowhere, is against the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David I was kidding by the way lol, there's plenty of business like that everywhere to go around right now.

Don't get confused by the law on this either, currently it is actually definitively legal to use Phantoms for this purpose. The FAA's appeal to the recent Federal ruling does not mean they have any authority in this at the moment...but that will of course change even if their appeal fails, as they're cooking up new regulations as we speak and those are expected to specifically address sport and commercial use of UAV's of this size class. Here's where you can read up on all that: http://dronelawjournal.com/

Given the low altitude that photography such as that requires, it is absolutely legal now and from what I've been reading and hearing from those much more knowledgeable on the subject than I, even after the FAA releases their guidelines, which could be as early as 2015 or as late as 2020, with such low altitude requirements as aerial photography for real estate or weddings, you should be just fine.

Short of it is, if you're going to do it, now is absolutely the time to do it!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

While I think the video from the GoPro is great, I'm not really that impressed with the still images it produces. You might want to check out the quality first and see if you are happy with them. I had a similar business plan, but the images just didn't cut it.

What Country or State are you in?
Start cold calling Realtors in your area to see if there is any interest. This market is very saturated, in some parts of the country. And, in other area's, getting Realtors to even give you a free cup of coffee is like finding Teeth in a Hens mouth(Chickens don't have teeth-it's a metaphor).

This is one of those things that, if you have to ask........well??? Drones are still "new", but, with the rapidly declining price, and ease of flight, Realtors are starting to buy their own. Did I mention Realtors are cheap????

Back to cold calling-same thing with Production Companies.....you will need to do a lot of leg work, and hear the word NO a lot more then Yes. But-you only need 1 yes. Also-learn how "networking" works.

You really need to be THE needle in the haystack. IF, you are in a very rural area-that's a good thing!! If you are in a big city.....good luck to you.
One thing; do NOT work for free!!!! Don't spend 1000's of dollars on equipment, risk that if it crashes you lose your total investment, and give away your services in the hope that you will land a paying job. Doesn't work that way. You will get used/abused, then when you want to start charging-they will "find someone else".....and the circle repeats itself.

You need to do the market research, first-before you spend the money. If there's is no market, or the market is already saturated, walk away. Or, just make this a hobby.
And, without us knowing your geographical location-it's difficult to help.
IF, you live-say in Greenland...well, you would probably have a huge market!!! New York City-not so much.

OH, one more thing; what makes You, unique? You need to find a way to separate You, from the competition.......this is Business 101. Did I mention don't work for free?? ;)

^^^^Straight up the truth. Just buy one for the hobby first. Don't quit your day job and then put the word out. If and when business comes around then great. Extra money in your pocket every now and then, doing what you like is nice. Just don't bank on the outcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers