Should I spend the money?

Reaction score
Im going to buy a drone. For the money, there is nothing that compares to the features of the phantoms. But I just cant get by some of the threads I read about dji's customer service (or lack there of). One on dji's forum I just read is REALLY making me consider alternatives. What do you think about this?
DJI Forum|Phantom 3 Pro crash

He had his phantom for three days, had what appears to be a battery failure. What baffles me is that the response he initially got from dji is that they would not cover his phantom because he was using a third party app (autopilot). Im sure alot of you know that the third party apps are built using dji's own sdk and that they dont void the warranty.

Is it just me, or did dji try to use that excuse to get out of fixing the phantom? How dare they blatantly lie saying that by using autopilot it voids the warranty? I have a feeling that the op will end up being taken care of, but the initial response doesn't sit well with me at all.

I apologize if this thread is in the wrong spot, and realize I may anger some people as they love their phantoms. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something. I hope I am as the phantom is everything I want as far as features. But I cant afford to have something like this happen to me. After reading that I was set on buying a q500 4k until I realized they have no point of interest mode which is essential for me.

The phantom 3 is a fantastic quadcopter and one of the best on the market. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with the costumer service, but I have heard the same thing. I was also worried before buying my phantom, but ever since the package arrived at my front door I have been in love and would never want anything else. It is by far the best quadcopter I have ever flown. To me it was very much worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You are on the Phantom user forum therefore you might not get an objective opinion ... just saying ... :D

Besides, if it does not feel right in YOUR gut do not do this ... but if you will get convinced otherwise, don't blame anybody. It's your money, it's your decision.

The phantom 3 is a fantastic quadcopter and one of the best on the market. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with the costumer service, but I have heard the same thing. I was also worried before buying my phantom, but ever since the package arrived at my front door I have been in love and would never want anything else. It is by far the best quadcopter I have ever flown. To me it was very much worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
That is why Im stuck, I know that if all works right it is my best option. But stories like the one I linked to worry me (if you havent, do read the thread). I am not a wealthy person. If I crash due to my fault I could take it. But if it fails on its own I would expect it to be covered (if still under warranty). For a dji rep to say it wont be covered because auto pilot was used (total bs). It scares the crap out of me. Am seriously considering buying an inferior machine now.

edit: Should have titled the thread different. Im more interested in peoples thoughts about the integrity of dji. That thread blows my mind.... I wont be "blaming" anybody (other than the manufacturer if it is indeed their fault)

Last edited:
That is why Im stuck, I know that if all works right it is my best option. But stories like the one I linked to worry me. I am not a wealthy person. If I crash due to my fault I could take it. But if it fails on its own I would expect it to be covered (if still under warranty). For a dji rep to say it wont be covered because auto pilot was used (total bs). It scares the crap out of me. Am seriously considering buying an inferior machine now.

edit: Should have titled the thread different. Im more interested in peoples thoughts about the integrity of dji. That thread blows my mind....
Educate yourself as much as you can, then make the decision. Most crashes are user error, if it truly is DJI's fault they step up and replace your Quadcopter, even if it is your fault and total loss it is not unheard of for DJI to give you a 30-50% discount on a new bird. DJI has been improving their service and it seems 2-3 weeks is the new typical turn around time. There are many tools you get with the phantom that can help you prevent crashes anyway.

Reactions: Richard W
Educate yourself as much as you can, then make the decision. Most crashes are user error, if it truly is DJI's fault they step up and replace your Quadcopter, even if it is your fault and total loss it is not unheard of for DJI to give you a 30-50% discount on a new bird. DJI has been improving their service and it seems 2-3 weeks is the new typical turn around time. There are many tools you get with the phantom that can help you prevent crashes anyway.
I have done A TON of reading/educating. I would think if it is not your fault they would take care of you. But the initial response from dji makes me wonder. They said they wont cover it because he used autopilot (third party app like litchi built using dji's SDK)

But the initial response from dji makes me wonder. They said they wont cover it because he used autopilot (third party app like litchi built using dji's SDK)

Yeah ... they can't cover third party products. You expect too much. It's not like DJI tested and certified Litchi app. They simply cannot blindly guarantee the interoperation between the drone and dozens of the control apps out there. If the setup was all DJI products then that is a different story.

Yeah ... they can't cover third party products. You expect too much. It's not like DJI tested and certified Litchi app. They simply cannot blindly guarantee the interoperation between the drone and dozens of the control apps there. If the setup was all DJI products then that is a different story.

You are wrong there. dji released their sdk to companies to build apps. If you read the thread you can see where dji's own employee confirms that third party apps DO NOT void the warranty as they use the sdk released by dji which only allows certain things to be changed.

Even if I could use the top chef's kitchen, pots, pans, ingredients ... you still would not want to eat the dinner I have cooked. Conversely ... I could use DJI SDK and build the app that will crash your drone every time it flies. You need to understand a bit more about software development before you say somebody is wrong.

Even if I could use the top chef's kitchen, pots, pans, ingredients ... you still would not want to eat the dinner I have cooked. Conversely ... I could use DJI SDK and build the app that will crash your drone every time it flies. You need to understand a bit more about software development before you say somebody is wrong.
Im not going to argue with you. Did you read the thread? Did you see the email from the dji employee stating that the use of third party apps DO NOT void the warranty? I think you may need to understand a little bit more. Im sure before too long someone else will confirm you are indeed wrong. Please read the thread before commenting.

Even if it ends up being pilot error (I honestly dont think so but who knows), the initial response is what rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Im not going to argue with you. Did you read the thread? Did you see the email from the dji employee stating that the use of third party apps DO NOT void the warranty? I think you may need to understand a little bit more. Im sure before too long someone else will confirm you are indeed wrong. Please read the thread before commenting.

Even if it ends up being pilot error (I honestly dont think so but who knows), the initial response is what rubs me the wrong way.
Dji employee on official forum saying no issue re software used in this instance. No issue. Move on. Original incorrect advice corrected. That's what matters.

Dji employee on official forum saying no issue re software used in this instance. No issue. Move on. Original incorrect advice corrected. That's what matters.
I guess, but I wonder how many times the pilot did not have the knowledge that the op in the thread does and took that explanation. I would bet that the dji rep does know that the third party apps dont void the warranty. It doesnt scream integrity in a company (just the opposite).

If anyone can point me to a quad that has the same smart flight features for under $1500 Id appreciate it (point of interest, follow me, waypoints, course lock). If I already had a go pro Id get the solo without another thought. But I dont so it will end up pushing 2k which I cant afford.

The DJI forum isn't the place to learn much or form opinions.
I suspect most of the people there would have trouble just tying their shoelaces.
Much that is posted there is quite wrong and unfortunately that goes for a few of their staff as well..

The Phantom 3 is a fabulous drone and there is nothing out there that comes close in features or price.
Most owners manage to read the manual and learn to fly and are out there having fun and never even post on a forum.
People with problems (whatever the cause) often look for help on the forums.
And the cause of most problems is the user not reading or understanding the manual or doing something stupid like flying close to trees and buildings on their second flight.
A very small number of problems are due to other factors.

The DJI forum isn't the place to learn much or form opinions.
I suspect most of the people there would have trouble just tying their shoelaces.
Much that is posted there is quite wrong and unfortunately that goes for a few of their staff as well..

The Phantom 3 is a fabulous drone and there is nothing out there that comes close in features or price.
Most owners manage to read the manual and learn to fly and are out there having fun and never even post on a forum.
People with problems (whatever the cause) often look for help on the forums.
And the cause of most problems is the user not reading or understanding the manual or doing something stupid like flying close to trees and buildings on their second flight.
A very small number of problems are due to other factors.
I totally understand that. the ONLY thing that bothers me is the dji rep saying that the third party app voids the warranty. But it is really bothering me. . .
I cant imagine an employee honestly believing that it would void the warranty.

you are right about the features/price though. Which is why im sure i'll end up going with the phantom and hope Im not one of the unlucky few. I will definitely record all my flights, keep logs ect just in case though.

Last edited:
I totally understand that. the ONLY thing that bothers me is the dji rep saying that the third party app voids the warranty. But it is really bothering me. . .
Be bothered all you like ... but as I said, you can't rely an much that you find on the dji forum at all.
You'd be better off not reading there as so much there will be confusing, wrong or bother you.
DJI are much better at designing and making Phantoms than they are at running a forum.

Be bothered all you like ... but as I said, you can't rely an much that you find on the dji forum at all.
You'd be better off not reading there as so much there will be confusing, wrong or bother you.
DJI are much better at designing and making Phantoms than they are at running a forum.
If I cant rely on what the dji employees say... that doesnt help my confidence either.

Anyway, close this thread if you like. Not sure there is anything else to gain here.

Take care,
Travis

If I cant rely on what the dji employees say... that doesnt help my confidence either.

Anyway, close this thread if you like. Not sure there is anything else to gain here.

Take care,
Travis
I am not certain but I think that DJI will not cover a crash if you crash while using a 3rd party app, just having used them in the past doesn't void your warranty so if you are iffy about it just don't use any 3rd party apps.

That's why so many users choose to get their supplemental info from other forums rather than dji's forum.

You're welcome to research other drones and no-one here will be affected by whatever you choose to spend your money on.
But you won't find any that can match the features or performance of the Phantom - or the price.
They are the market leaders for good reason. Their competitors aren't even in the same race.

Reactions: Sinisalo
I am not certain but I think that DJI will not cover a crash if you crash while using a 3rd party app, just having used them in the past doesn't void your warranty so if you are iffy about it just don't use any 3rd party apps.
That would be extremely good to know. As I intend on using litchi if I end up with a P3. Meta4?

This is what Ryan.Tong <[email protected]> said in the email.
" Simply flying a DJI aircraft using a third party app doesn’t void the warranty. However, if the pilot crashes or causes damage that is not due to mechanical failure, then it’s their responsibility to cover at least some if not all of the estimated repair cost."

- Ryan

You're welcome to research other drones and no-one here will be affected by whatever you choose to spend your money on.
But you won't find any that can match the features or performance of the Phantom - or the price.
They are the market leaders for good reason. Their competitors aren't even in the same race.
I agree with your Meta, just the fact that there are 3rd party apps is amazing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj