Should I set my control to a fixed channel?

Reaction score
Do you guys set your control to a set channel like channel 20 when you have a lot of noise being indicated like below?

IMG_2387.jpg

I posed a similar question to DJI about this. They said it's better to use the channel between two that are showing high interference. In your case that would be ch 18.

Do a 32-channel hack so you have more channels with very low to no interference.

Do you have a link for the hack?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would like to do the 32 channel hack but I am not sure if it runs on auto as well as being fixed on one channel. I would appreciate information on the 32 channel hack, CAN you run it on auto or do you have to be fixed on one channel? I have also thought of picking just one channel but my feeling is that if all of a sudden you get interference on the channel you pick (let's say channel 20) do you have more of a chance of a fly away or losing control of the aircraft? information on this subject would be very helpful, thanks...

I would like to do the 32 channel hack but I am not sure if it runs on auto as well as being fixed on one channel. I would appreciate information on the 32 channel hack, CAN you run it on auto or do you have to be fixed on one channel? I have also thought of picking just one channel but my feeling is that if all of a sudden you get interference on the channel you pick (let's say channel 20) do you have more of a chance of a fly away or losing control of the aircraft? information on this subject would be very helpful, thanks...

You can leave it at auto or custom. With custom, you can see which channel has the lowest or no interference and set to that channel. But if you leave it at auto, it only chooses one of the 8 default channels even with the hack as I understand it. It's not going to fly away since RTH will be automatically initiated after you lose Tx signal for 3 secs.

You can leave it at auto or custom. With custom, you can see which channel has the lowest or no interference and set to that channel. But if you leave it at auto, it only chooses one of the 8 default channels even with the hack as I understand it. It's not going to fly away since RTH will be automatically initiated after you lose Tx signal for 3 secs.
DJI originally had the 32 channels but we're told they are illegal to use in the U.S. Because they are reserved for other use. So DJI removed them & gave the 13-20 channels. That's why it's referred to as a "Hack."

Of course some insist on using the illegal channels without regard to them being illegal. IMO, just because a car can go 120 mph doesn't mean you legally can. Also, I wouldn't want to go through the legal hassles trying to explain why my controller has them if I were ever to be caught with them on my system. (Just my opinion...)

DJI originally had the 32 channels but we're told they are illegal to use in the U.S. Because they are reserved for other use. So DJI removed them & gave the 13-20 channels. That's why it's referred to as a "Hack."

Of course some insist on using the illegal channels without regard to them being illegal. IMO, just because a car can go 120 mph doesn't mean you legally can. Also, I wouldn't want to go through the legal hassles trying to explain why my controller has them if I were ever to be caught with them on my system. (Just my opinion...)
So what Litchi app does is also illegal since it also uses 32 channels?

It's only illegal if you get caught

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So what Litchi app does is also illegal since it also uses 32 channels?
Litchi locks out the extra channels by default because they are illegal to use in the U.S. and are for other use by the FCC. Remember, Litchi is used in other countries where these illegal channels are not illegal.

Litchi locks out the extra channels by default because they are illegal to use in the U.S. and are for other use by the FCC. Remember, Litchi is used in other countries where these illegal channels are not illegal.
I got the impression that flyers in the US still can use 32 channels in Litchi. Good to know. Thanks

Are you able to change channels in other app's like Autopilot and Airnest. I apologize for all the questions just trying to find out what's what. Thanks for the info so far..

Here it is.
It worked like a charm!
However, since I've been using the very latest version of DJI GO app off the Apple APP Store, the existing configuration file had a newer date. I exported it and compared it to the one with the hack. There are only 12 significant bytes of binary information in the file. The latest version (few channels) reads: 00 00 00 00 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 and the hack file reads: 00 00 00 01 11 11 11 11 11 11 11 11.
Turns out there is another side effect by changing back to the "hack" file. I had difficulties overriding the 120 Meter max altitude limitation imposed by the FAA (actually, that imposition is 120 Meters over ground at the flight location, not the take-off point). The maximum altitude should be settable to 500 Meters, but DJI GO would not take it and simply reset it to 120. Since the hack file is installed, that override has gone away. I can now set it to any altitude within the 0-500 Meters.
THANKS!!

BTW: I am using an iPad MINI 4 with IOS 9.2.1. iTunes would NOT let me replace the existing .DJIConfigs file. It claimed it was protected etc. So I had to use iExplorer which of course is a much more powerful way to deal with this.

Last edited:
Re Channel Hack: I believe I have the latest firmware 1.8.8 .0 and last night I downloaded the DJI.config from several sources but in each case the file was empty. Before I cause anybody's wrath I checked the forum and didn't seem to find an answer for this particular issue. Perhaps somebody could point me to a discussion that talks about this? Is the channel hack compatible with the new firmware? Many thanks in advance.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj