Should I send it to DJI or not?

Reaction score
Hardware: Phantom Vision 2+ with about 9 flights and no crashes Naza mode.

I have an earlier post about my problem with not consistently acquiring 6 or more satellites with video on or not and ideal flight field (elevation 6300 feet) with no obstructions. I tried the foil mod which did not seem to help much. I have ordered (Naza Lite GPS) parts to move the GPS outside the shell (thanks to varmint’s hard work on the subject). I have also called DJI about the problem ( not a clue about the problem) and was told I could send it in for repair (not replacement). Since this forum has a lot of experienced members I thought it would be wise to ask for opinions on whether to send it in to DJI based on others experience and take my chances with their technicians being able to fix it or just go ahead and move the GPS outside the shell. I can also remove the compass from the landing gear since the compass is part of the Naza Lite GPS module.
Well what do you think, send it in or try and fix it myself? :?:

rwebcon said:
Hardware: Phantom Vision 2+ with about 9 flights and no crashes Naza mode.

I have an earlier post about my problem with not consistently acquiring 6 or more satellites with video on or not and ideal flight field (elevation 6300 feet) with no obstructions. I tried the foil mod which did not seem to help much. I have ordered (Naza Lite GPS) parts to move the GPS outside the shell (thanks to varmint’s hard work on the subject). I have also called DJI about the problem ( not a clue about the problem) and was told I could send it in for repair (not replacement). Since this forum has a lot of experienced members I thought it would be wise to ask for opinions on whether to send it in to DJI based on others experience and take my chances with their technicians being able to fix it or just go ahead and move the GPS outside the shell. I can also remove the compass from the landing gear since the compass is part of the Naza Lite GPS module.
Well what do you think, send it in or try and fix it myself? :?:

I've been in your exact mindset, puzzled as to why the aluminium foil worked for others and not for me. I was thinking of contacting DJI, and also moving the gps received outside the bird, but after some research I felt it would be worth trying copper tape. It's similar to the aluminium tape in that it is sticky on one side.

I did the aluminium foil fix that's on the video BUT with copper tape. I also made a point of wrapping tape around all the gps wires so there's none exposed where it comes out from the stick shielding. I then insulated it all with insulation tape and it has helped big time with my setup.

More satellites and no problems when videoing !

Apparently copper has better EMI shielding properties than aluminium and the fact that DJI use it themselves I'm their stock shielding must have merit ?

I would recommend you try this first, rather than losing your bird for weeks to DJI's repair centre. If it doesn't work, you can then send it off.

That's my 10p worth (or 10c)

dp

Hth

dp

Well that's it! I'm changing my hat to copper.

Personally I think it's time to send it back. But be prepared for a spectacular customer service fail. DJI is legendary.

The copper won't do anything more than the aluminum tape. Some guys got better results with aluminum

Mori55 said:
The copper won't do anything more than the aluminum tape. Some guys got better results with aluminum

I have heard this 1 or two times also but aluminum foil faced duct seal tape has worked 90% of the time for people reporting back, There was even some EMI interference logic to have some of both !! I would go back through it one more time with the very tape everyone else used and do the wires up too as suggested. It only takes 30 minutes to try and it is worth all of that and a box of chocolates to not have to give it up for weeks hoping they get it fixed the first time. I can attest I have at a minimum of 50% more sats show up consistently and I forgot to tape my wire :oops: I used to struggle to get 6 and if I did they would drop on video start, never drop now and I always fly with 8 to 12

410053838.jpg

Hmmm can take me a long time to get 6 sats aswell.. usuaully I like to wait, but if im just at the park I'll wait 5 minutes then fly it off.. it usually gets 6+ after I fly it for a minute..
Thought I read on another forum GPS is a common issue on these ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers