Should I send back the H3-3D Gimbal and ioSD Mark 2?

Reaction score
Newbie here - I just received my P2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal, DJI 5.8 Gz video link kit, and the ioSD Mark 2 with the GoPro H3+, Black. God, with everything I've been reading today on this forum and others, this setup is a disaster! First of all, I am not a engineer with electronic skills, so having virtually NO INSTRUCTIONS in the packages, I must admit this whole deal is overwhelming to me! First, people are having problems with the fragile ribbon cable for the Gimbal. Then I read where people are saying that you don't need the ioSD Mark 2, that the mini will do the job. There are wires and terminal ends on some of those included wires that I have no idea where to hook them to! Then - do you or do you not hook up that interference board? What's the proper software to run? And then I hear where DJI is usless in their tech support, so that's a dead end too! Is there anyone, or anywhere, or any tutorial out there that can clear all this up for me? Christ, I would be willing to send my stuff to someone to set it up for me and pay them well for their expertise and time!

Or should I just send everything back to B&H and get a H3-2D with a mini ioSD? Thanks for you help and advice, Mark

P.S. I'm a full time photographer that essentially wants to shoot panoramic stitched stills with a little video now and then. The videos might end up being 20% or so of my photography.

Yes. Sell everything and transfer your investment into some new bowling shoes, a tournament ball and a few different geriatric
league memberships.

Good luck.

From one photog to another I am betting you didn't go out and buy a D300 and a 600mm and decide you were going to be a pro. I am sure it took years to develop skills in lighting, locations, software etc. You started with a fairly complex system and I could see at the start it is overwhelming. It is for me too, had it a month and maybe this weekend it will have its first flight. I would suggest to closet the camera, gimbal and the FPV setup for now. Use the stock controller and read read read. Just start out with the basics and learn to fly it first. When your confidence builds add the camera and gimbal, later the FVP. At least that is my plan.

Well, this post gave me a headache. :lol:

Your current kit is good enough, although I do agree the iOSD MKII is excessive. But the Mark II is capable of data logging and is pretty much a hub for other stuff you might add in the long run (such as BTU and/or ground station). Mini iOSD doesn't have any of that. I'm not sure what powers the MK2 because I don't have that though, the Mini for sure doesn't need a power supply (just go straight to the port/hub).

I think the only thing you're missing is an "DJI FPV Hub Kit" for sure and a monitor.. either get a Black Pearl FPV Monitor which has built in receiver (so there's no need for the RX part of the AVL58) and battery or find a battery and monitor for the RX like shown in the end of this video.

So all in all, this YouTube video kinda shows most of what you need to do when it comes to assembly.

http://youtu.be/vba9GkSDaxc

The difference with the above video is that there is no soldering needed, because the AVL58 + FPV Hub comes with all the wiring you need. Although I haven't done it myself yet, I think the wirings it came with is pretty short, so it's probably better to mount the hub under the Phantom instead of inside the way the video did it.

Here's the manual for the FPV hub and where the connection goes. It pretty much lays out where everything goes. :lol:

Also, I don't see a reason why you should downgrade to the H3-2D. But if you want to, it's up to you. What I've read with the weak cables is that it only occurs with the V1.1, so if that's the one you have.. then it's really your choice.

panhygrous pantler said:
Yes. Sell everything and transfer your investment into some new bowling shoes, a tournament ball and a few different geriatric
league memberships.

Good luck.

Is that some sort of a smart *** comment or is there some value in it I'm missing?

UrAwFuL said:
Well, this post gave me a headache. :lol:

Your current kit is good enough, although I do agree the iOSD MKII is excessive. But the Mark II is capable of data logging and is pretty much a hub for other stuff you might add in the long run (such as BTU and/or ground station). Mini iOSD doesn't have any of that. I'm not sure what powers the MK2 because I don't have that though, the Mini for sure doesn't need a power supply (just go straight to the port/hub).

I think the only thing you're missing is an "DJI FPV Hub Kit" for sure and a monitor.. either get a Black Pearl FPV Monitor which has built in receiver (so there's no need for the RX part of the AVL58) and battery or find a battery and monitor for the RX like shown in the end of this video.

So all in all, this YouTube video kinda shows most of what you need to do when it comes to assembly.

http://youtu.be/vba9GkSDaxc

The difference with the above video is that there is no soldering needed, because the AVL58 + FPV Hub comes with all the wiring you need. Although I haven't done it myself yet, I think the wirings it came with is pretty short, so it's probably better to mount the hub under the Phantom instead of inside the way the video did it.

Here's the manual for the FPV hub and where the connection goes. It pretty much lays out where everything goes. :lol:

Also, I don't see a reason why you should downgrade to the H3-2D. But if you want to, it's up to you. What I've read with the weak cables is that it only occurs with the V1.1, so if that's the one you have.. then it's really your choice.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. I do have the DJI hub kit, and I do have a monitor. I'll look at the Youtube videos you recommended. And it turns out I do have the V 1.1 Gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31