Should I return P3A since P4 Release is imminent

I got the same P3A deal: $719 which is the recent price drop plus 10% discount from CES. If the new announcement is $1700 there must be some major improvements or perhaps a missing link between Phantom and Inspire?

Send it back if you are willing to wait several months for whatever is announced & pay twice as much when it becomes available.

Really caught me off guard, and I have heard a lot of rumors claiming Phantom 4 is coming out. I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced Last week for $719. Originally wanted to purchase the Professional, but since it isn't on sale, I held back on that. But it just went down too. Should I just return the P3A for now, and wait for the P4? Only used it once or twice to test whether it works or not. I don't really use it, and it is more for me to use on vacations, but since I aren't going to any, I can wait. If I decides to return it however, I would have to somehow sell all of my virtually brand new batteries and the dji backpack as well. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Richard W
Source please
I also saw $1700. Perhaps the same source as the earlier post. Of course, nothing out there on rumor sites really means anything at all.
DJI Phantom 4 Rumors Photos and Release Date

20160216 2016 pricing roadmap.JPG

I'm keeping my P3P I bought from best buy on Feb. 1, but I'm going to see if I can get a refund of the difference with the new pricing!

I just picked up an advanced for $649. I'll wait until the bugs are worked out and the price drop on the 4, then I'll jump on one. The phantom 3 series is pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Was it brand new?
Link to that store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No... you have flown it so the retailer cant sell it as new stock. These generous return policies make products more expensive (retailers have to recover their losses) for everyone.

Reactions: noki49
P4 or whatever is new will definitely be more $$$. Dji crushed 3DR and pretty much everyone else in the current pricing category with the P3. Mission accomplished now they will go after Yuneec and the new wave of craft coming out.

No... you have flown it so the retailer cant sell it as new stock. These generous return policies make products more expensive (retailers have to recover their losses) for everyone.

I was wondering about that too - what happens to all the drones that are returned simply because someone changed their mind? When you buy a P3, you want to know that it's brand new, not somebody's change of heart. If I tried to return mine without it being faulty, I'd get nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you recently bought a P3P, you should at least return it to get the new discounted price of $999

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You really can't make a rational decision until you have the facts when DJI announces their plan. However, if you're a beginner it would be wise to fly the advanced for a year to learn how to fly and edit video.

Never be first to buy a DJI product. Just a suggestion.

Never be first to buy ANY product more complex than a toaster (and watch out for those new toasters).

I don't upgrade any Apple software until the x.3 release, NEVER buy a rev 1.0 Apple product and always scan the relevant forums for issues.

Otherwise you're a beta tester.

I bought my PH3 P last Xmas and while I'm happy to explore all of its features, whatever DJI brings out to replace the PH3P is not a concern to me right now. One should master what you have now, before hoping over to a bigger bird. Learn, absorb and do what needs to be done to gain proficiently. Once you have that, and have probably by then 'outgrown' your PH2P, then you can upgrade to an Inspire 1.

Over here in Australia, one can fly a Drone up to 400ft weighing no more than 2kgs gross weight for pleasure/profit without a license. Over the parameters, one must have a current UAV license issued by our CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) who are same as the FAA in the US. Anyone caught operating a big bird without a license, faces huge fines as you are now flying in airspace of a fix or rotary wing aircraft. To get this license, one must complete a 5 day full time course, which includes exams, sim and real flights and be judged on your ability to know the same rules and fly as going for fixed or rotary wing aircraft, license.

Once you have that license, you must maintain a Pilot's Log Book and inform CASA of every flight above 400ft. Under that, you don't need to. When the CASA inspectors do random checks on their licensed pilots be that for a UAV, plane or helicopter, your records must tally up with their records based on what you told them. If they don't, you're done for. My instructor told me that if you are not sure what to do even in an emergency, then don't fly! Simple as that.

Last edited:
I bought my PH3 P last Xmas and while I'm happy to explore all of its features, whatever DJI brings out to replace the PH3P is not a concern to me right now. One should master what you have now, before hoping over to a bigger bird. Learn, absorb and do what needs to be done to gain proficiently. Once you have that, and have probably by then 'outgrown' your PH2P, then you can upgrade to an Inspire 1.

Over here in Australia, one can fly any Drone up to 2kgs gross weight for pleasure/profit. Over that one needs to hold a UAV license issued by our CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) who are same as the FAA in the US. Anyone caught operating a big bird without a license, faces huge fines as you are now flying in airspace of a fix or rotary wing aircraft. To get this license, one must complete a 5 day full time course like this one... www.rpa.net.au and sit for exams, sim flights and do real flights and be judged on your ability to know the same rules as going for fixed or rotary wing aircraft.

Once you have that license, you must maintain a Pilot's Log Book and inform CASA of every flight above 400ft. Under that, you don't need to. When the CASA inspectors do random checks on their licensed pilots be that for a UAV, plane or helicopter, your records must tally up with their records based on what you told them. If they don't, you're done for. My instructor told me that if you are not sure what to do even in an emergency, then don't fly! Simple as that.
Are you shure about the sub 2kg ok for profit in AUS comment?
Over here in Australia, one can fly a Drone up to 400ft weighing no more than 2kgs gross weight for pleasure/profit without a licence

Really? Did i miss a law change?

Currently any commercial use is out, sub 2kg aircraft weight or not in the absence of appropriate licencing.

I feel that there is *ALWAYS* something new just around the corner. If you chase that goose you won't be flying much.

Reactions: Grae

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj