Should I replace the motors?

Reaction score
I was throwing a rooftop party and let my friend fly it. I had the prop guards on and she was learned pretty quickly. Therefore, I made the mistake of continuing to host the party. After a while, she flew close to a wall and suddenly, the drone flipped 90 degrees and and the propellers scraped the wall. This went for about 10 seconds until I shut it off. Two of the props turned black on the tips and got shaved off a bit (about 10% or about halt-1cm).

I wanted to test if the drone would still fly and get some footage of the party so I flew for about another 1 or 2 minutes. After I landed, I touched the motors and I believe two of the motors were hot. I would say skin-scalding hot. I don't remember which one, but I'm assuming the ones that were not black (the ones that were probably stuck) were hot.

I replaced 2 of the props (the ones that were shaved off) and flew the drone at my local park for about 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. I took it to about 500 feet, did some maneuvers.

I'm wondering if I should replace 2 or 4 motors, or is the integrity of the motors still decent for another few flights. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks.

jaytrizzle said:
I was throwing a rooftop party and let my friend fly it. I had the prop guards on and she was learned pretty quickly. Therefore, I made the mistake of continuing to host the party. After a while, she flew close to a wall and suddenly, the drone flipped 90 degrees and and the propellers scraped the wall. This went for about 10 seconds until I shut it off. Two of the props turned black on the tips and got shaved off a bit (about 10% or about halt-1cm).

I wanted to test if the drone would still fly and get some footage of the party so I flew for about another 1 or 2 minutes. After I landed, I touched the motors and I believe two of the motors were hot. I would say skin-scalding hot. I don't remember which one, but I'm assuming the ones that were not black (the ones that were probably stuck) were hot.

I replaced 2 of the props (the ones that were shaved off) and flew the drone at my local park for about 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. I took it to about 500 feet, did some maneuvers.

I'm wondering if I should replace 2 or 4 motors, or is the integrity of the motors still decent for another few flights. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks.

Definitely post a picture of the damage. It is relatively normal for the motors to run really hot, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're okay :)

Here are a few photos:

the ones with black tips are the rooftop ones.

http://www.victorchuphoto.com/p691518580

should i just throw these away?

also included are some props that are currently on my drone. are these still useable or should i chuck them? im thinking they my affect the balance of the spinning and damage the motors over time.

I crashed on to concrete a while back, didn't like the sound of a few of the motors spinning whilst turned off. Bearings sounded bad, so I replaced all 4. A bit much perhaps but they are a fairly critical component so I didn't want to take any risks.

I posted a video of this a while back.

Props look bad...a few scrapes are probably okay perhaps, but missing bits and they would be in the bin!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost