Should I open her up...OK I did and survived..

Reaction score
I saw a video on a very good fellow Phantom Pilot members Youtube Channel (Simon Newton's)

http://youtu.be/7Jum34eU4W8?list=UU1-HUeRKBGiKZrVhiOEtGjQ

The message was that it isn't a bad thing to open up the Phantom to check the cables, connections, solder joints etc as they have either been known to work loose or were never fitted properly in the first place!

My Phantom is bearly a week old - so the question is.. should I open her up to have a look inside if only to satisfy myself that there are no connectors that are just about to come apart or to see if everything looks ticketyboo!

TIA Steve

Re: Should I open her up...??

Well, IMO, the Phantom was intended to be owner repaired (after all you can buy lots of parts for the thing). But I am not sure why you would want to go exploring just to look. OTOH, I don't think it would cause a problem if you decide to do so. But you will at least sacrifice a set of the arm stickers, either by cutting them, or pulling them off. BTW, it is possible to pull the red sticker off, but they never stick quite right after that, so plan on replacing them. I will cut mine next time.

Fourblade said:
I saw a video on a very good fellow Phantom Pilot members Youtube Channel (Simon Newton's)

http://youtu.be/7Jum34eU4W8?list=UU1-HUeRKBGiKZrVhiOEtGjQ

The message was that it isn't a bad thing to open up the Phantom to check the cables, connections, solder joints etc as they have either been known to work loose or were never fitted properly in the first place!

My Phantom is bearly a week old - so the question is.. should I open her up to have a look inside if only to satisfy myself that there are no connectors that are just about to come apart or to see if everything looks ticketyboo!

TIA Steve
Its no problem opening up the Phantom very straight forward. Before you do so however purchase a spare set of screws R C Geeks have them amongst others. Also invest in a good set of screwdrivers for taking the Phantom apart. Some of the screws are quite soft I found having the correct fit screwdriver for the job is agreat help.

be carefull when removing the screws, start with the ones at the end of the motors arms. dont leave those tiny screws to the end or youll end with a stripped screw for sure.

The only real thing that's stopping me is the warranty.
I bought it from Quadcopters and I'm sure they would take issue with me if it had to go back for any reason if they saw the stickers cut.

its got to be done.

A car warranty is not voided by opening up the engine bonnet.

Attachments

• DSCF3779.JPG
    DSCF3779.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 919

If you have the lid off I would highly recommend you do the foil mod on the GPS.

And I am glad I cut the decals on my second DJI compared to removing as I did not the first. You really don't notice the decal is cut and you can take the lid on and off at will now.

rrmccabe said:
If you have the lid off I would highly recommend you do the foil mod on the GPS.

Hmm, I am inclined to lift the lid if only to satisfy myself that all is OK inside it - well as far as I could see!

The foil mod is something I have definitely thought about doing, but what is the best material to use?

And will it work if I just place it over the top of the existing insulation rather than pull up anything??

Fourblade said:
The only real thing that's stopping me is the warranty.
I bought it from Quadcopters and I'm sure they would take issue with me if it had to go back for any reason if they saw the stickers cut.
You should not have the slightest warranty problem due to opening, stickers cut or not. Just don't break anything.

OK I'll wait until I've got some quiet time and do it...
But actual metal kitchen foil for the GPS mod??
Surely that's not all?

What you want is Alucan for the foil mod. Sussex models do it as many others.You can see it on the Dronexpert. nl Facebook page.

Fourblade said:
Surely that's not all?

See the thread here on it, its goes into chapter and verse.

Fourblade said:
Surely that's not all?

I've used aluminum foil tape and then sprayed a nice layer of plastidip over it, to prevent against shorts.

Hehe, the Phantom V2+ comes with two packages of spare screws should you lose any when taking apart! ;)

sidebox said:
Fourblade said:
Surely that's not all?
I've used aluminum foil tape and then sprayed a nice layer of plastidip over it, to prevent against shorts.
Or aluminum foil tape with clear packing tape on top. Use an Xacto knife for trimming, particularly to keep the vents open on the arms.

....so just to recap, placing a layer of metal inside the bird over the GPS module won't have any adverse effect on WiFi, TX or RX or anything?

Fourblade said:
....so just to recap, placing a layer of metal inside the bird over the GPS module won't have any adverse effect on WiFi, TX or RX or anything?

Nothing but an improvement on mine. No adverse effects.

I just used the metalized tape from the big box store. then clear packing tape over it to be safe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1