Should I invest in new ESCs and GPS plug?

Reaction score
Got my V plus last week. After reading some posts about fly aways maybe due to bad ESC's and GPS problems because of a loose plug I started to worry. I think a company who puts out an expensive product like this should get things right before problems occur or at least order recalls. Number one a fly away can be a hazard to someones health if the bird fell and hit someone and number 2 it was a big investment for the buyer.

I realize this technology is new but it shouldnt be released if there are this many problems. I know some of you guys who are good with electronics have no problems doing the fixes yourself. My guess it adds a lot to the fun if you are good with electronics. I however am not good with electronics and dont feel like I want to go an experiment with a 1200 piece of equipment.

IF these changes need to be made should I have it done professionally? If so who fixes them?
How can I check to see if everything is holding up ok within the Phantom?
Will opening it void the warranty?

I think your worrying way to much. They sell thousands of these a month , but one person post on here and it's like they're falling out of the sky. I would say most of what you read is pilot error. Things do get blown out of purportion.

If you got it last week, there is a high probability that you have the most recent enhancements/fixes from DJI... assuming you didn't buy it off ebay or something. Go do with it what you bought it for! Only recommendation I have is to purchase a Flytrex Live 3G, so in the unlikely event it does fly away or crashes, you'll know exactly where it is (and the telemetry logged if you need to make a warranty claim).

Taking the cover off will not void the warranty. Take a look and see what you have.

Marlin009 said:
Taking the cover off will not void the warranty.
I've seen people post quotes from DJI employees that stated opening the shell will void the warranty. DJI's warranty states the same.

Last edited:
msinger said:
Marlin009 said:
Taking the cover off will not void the warranty.
I've seen people post quotes from DJI employees that stated opening the shell will void the warranty. DJI's warranty states otherwise though. FYI.

http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-service

You may have seen this one I posted.

Thank You for contacting DJI support

The only option you have in this situation, if you are concerned about this issue, is to send your unit in, and our guys will make sure you have the correct ESC's, if not you may be upgraded.

This issue may be, because you have chosen to open the shell on your unit, you may have voided the warranty on your Phantom. I have no idea if you have, my dept. does not make that decision, but just wanted to state this disclaimer, because I have known this to be true.

DJI Customer Service North America

--------------------------------------------------

I would have been more accurate if I said it did not void mine. YMMV.

They replaced all 4 ESC's under warranty and paid shipping both ways. I should have it back Thursday. I told them when I spoke to them on the phone that it had been opened.

I would strongly recommend that anyone needing to contact DJI pick up the phone and call their CA Customer Service. Emails take days to get a reply and in my case were absolutely no help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4