Should I get a P3P or P3A

Reaction score
Hello, I am a 16 year old interested in a drone. I want a phantom that is easy to fly and doesn't take much experience. I want to be able to get decent pictures and videos where they look nice not professional level. I also want some range. What wold be the best for me?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

How much range do you need?

if you don't need 4k then get a advanced great one

Reactions: liketogethigh
Future proof your videos, get a P3 Professional model.

RedHotPoker

I've got the advanced as I have nothing that can view/process 4K. The good thing about it is if I ever change my mind, I can buy a p3p camera and install it on my advanced with new firmware and I essentially have a p3p. The only difference is in the camera system. Either is a great choice but I saved a little by not getting a feature I can't utilize yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had the same question, but now that the price is considerably cheaper, go with the P3P. Plus, it will give you an excuse ( like it did me) to get that curved Samsung 4K I know you have been looking at. Can't go wrong with future proofing. I'm of the thinking "Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" Whichever you choose, you will enjoy it.

I'll go Advanced if 4K isn't a priority.
I would like 4K but I don't even have any 4K monitors/ TV and I know in a year's time, there would be better drones out there and 4K wouldn't be a top selling feature.
It's not like you are going to be flying the Phantom 3 for the next 5 years anyway.

What wold be the best for me?

Because of your age I would go for the P3Pro because it has what's needed when you decide to buy fpv goggles for it. Be sure to buy the strong arm supports and gimbal and camera savers to go with it. I have both and I prefer the 4K on the Pro because it's crisp, the P3Advanced is a nice rig but for another $100, the pro is a great deal.

Reactions: Numone
Very good point...future proofing isn't necessary unless this is the last drone your gonna buy...if you don't have any 4K stuff now like I don't get the advanced and in a few years when you have a 4K tv and computer you will probably want to upgrade your drone anyway to the newest bad boy....

The joy of having the Phantom 3 Pro' with 4K now, is you can utilize and enjoy the 1080p or 2.7K now and still have 4K videos you can watch down the road. Anyway, 1080p is already nearly outdated. I see 4K is becoming the current standard very quickly, as new adopters accept this higher degree of sharpness and clarity, richer colours and better detail.
I know it's hard to let go of the last past, but moving forward at the speed of light, is where it's at. Ha
You can already find 5iveK stuff, out there.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Hello, I am a 16 year old interested in a drone. I want a phantom that is easy to fly and doesn't take much experience. I want to be able to get decent pictures and videos where they look nice not professional level. I also want some range. What wold be the best for me?

The advanced will give you everything in you wish list. Put the extra $ into a spare battery.
You will also need a backpack case.

Reactions: Numone
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I'm going to base my opinion on two things. You're 16 and probably not pulling in $90k a year. You're 16 and maybe a bit more likely to take risks than a person over 40. If I'm wrong, feel free to disregard my opinion.

I would buy a standard. My first multi-rotor was $150 and is still flying. My second was a home built 250 racing quad that is currently at the bottom of a lake (building another right now) that cost about $200. My most recent is the P3P.

I fly with a buddy who is 25 and the standard is cheap enough that he can stay in the hobby if he crashes it, but expensive enough that he has fun, but doesn't push the limit.

BTW, I'm south of 45 with a 15 year old son, if that makes a difference.

You can't go wrong with any of the P3 but expect to spend more than the base purchase price. Extra batteries, extra SD cards, video editing software, case, etc.

Just my $.02. Best of luck to you buddy.

I'm sure you will still be able to play your 1080p videos down the road as well...in a few years there will be something better out anyway. It's not like there going to stop at 4K, so "future proofing" sounds silly to me. Does anybody remember the first iPhone in 2007? It was revolutionary and it blew people's mind what it could do and the screen resolution. I still have one in a drawl at home and let me tell you it looks like a flip phone compared to what's out there now. There always coming out with something better. The drones are going to keep getting better and cooler with more crap on them as well, so if you have one that suits your needs today and your having fun with it that's all that matters[emoji106]

I didn't mean buy 4K as it will last forever. I can buy a newer drone in the future, perhaps with a 5K or 8K camera, but I will still have my 4K videos from now, to enjoy for many years to come. That's all I am saying. Record them now, enjoy for ever... Ha
Even if you don't already have a 4K monitor or worthy computer for post production, yet.

RedHotPoker

I'll go Advanced if 4K isn't a priority.
I would like 4K but I don't even have any 4K monitors/ TV and I know in a year's time, there would be better drones out there and 4K wouldn't be a top selling feature.
It's not like you are going to be flying the Phantom 3 for the next 5 years anyway.
As good as your point, we are missing something, the OP might have a good eye for scenic photography.
Just because he can't enjoy, as he might not have a 4k TV, now, he don't need to restrict himself from sharing that beautiful view to the rest of the world, and some might have 4k TV and doesn't have adblocker and helps this guy earn some money on YT videos :)
just my 0.02cents.

I'm sure you will still be able to play your 1080p videos down the road as well...in a few years there will be something better out anyway. It's not like there going to stop at 4K, so "future proofing" sounds silly to me.
Future proofing is only silly if you never want to re-use any of the material you shoot today (which could be true for you). I've had several occasions where I wanted to use past material for a current project but couldn't because the resolution just wasn't high enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20