Should I expect problems flying here??

Reaction score
Hey all! Just looking for some opinions on if I should be concerned here...
I have a gigantic park/ field by my house that I'd really love to fly at. However, there is a series of massive high tension/ power lines and towers that run right through it. Would flying here cause any problems for my P4?? Has anyone ever flown in close proximity to these types of towers? Thanks all in advance!

2CF82982-C163-4463-86C1-767C853D147D_zpslwoepgt4.jpg

73991857-2380-4C50-A3AF-87B659A2B649_zpsjpbcsxxh.jpg

6B7FA009-1E80-469C-9178-9C4CEB00E4F0_zpsxv6l0xbd.jpg

There have been a number of similar threads to this and some interesting responses. Keep a 20 mtr clearance from them and you should be fine. Surprised to see a HT set up like this running through a park, I bet playing golf is banned lol...

Whenever I fly somewhat near those I tend to get a flight interference pop up in the dji go app but as far as I can tell you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hey all! Just looking for some opinions on if I should be concerned here...
I have a gigantic park/ field by my house that I'd really love to fly at. However, there is a series of massive high tension/ power lines and towers that run right through it. Would flying here cause any problems for my P4?? Has anyone ever flown in close proximity to these types of towers? Thanks all in advance!

2CF82982-C163-4463-86C1-767C853D147D_zpslwoepgt4.jpg

73991857-2380-4C50-A3AF-87B659A2B649_zpsjpbcsxxh.jpg

6B7FA009-1E80-469C-9178-9C4CEB00E4F0_zpsxv6l0xbd.jpg
Just a bunch of potential sUAS eating obstacles. Proceed with caution and be very careful about maintaining Situation awareness. Those lines, towers and light poles will sneak up on you and they just LUUVV Phantoms!!

There have been a number of similar threads to this and some interesting responses. Keep a 20 mtr clearance from them and you should be fine. Surprised to see a HT set up like this running through a park, I bet playing golf is banned lol...
We have a golf practice field under power lines like that. Seems to be a waste of real estate to just leave them vacant.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I can't say if it was because on the power lines or not but I was walking under some with the drone above them and I could not get follow me to work. It would move a little the stop following then randomly start following after 30-40 seconds. Everything else worked though.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

We have a golf practice field under power lines like that. Seems to be a waste of real estate to just leave them vacant.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I once hit a tee shot and hit one of the aerials on a HT line, obviously never saw it again and this was at a golf course. At the time I was impressed with being able to fluke a shot like that and have a mate witness it! Most parks near where I live that have a ban on golf practice and the like due to the risk of putting a ball through someone's house or head.

I fly around them a lot--but way out in the desert. I've never had even a glitch and I get pretty close. If you hit them you might get some interference. :)

Better there then through your yard.

Reactions: tevek
Thanks everyone for your replies so far! So it seems like as long as I stay away from them I shouldn't have any interference. I was wondering if the towers themselves could cause the compass to malfunction or anything. But again, seems like from all of your experience so far that I should be ok.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far! So it seems like as long as I stay away from them I shouldn't have any interference. I was wondering if the towers themselves could cause the compass to malfunction or anything. But again, seems like from all of your experience so far that I should be ok.
If you get close enough, yes. They do have a magnetic field around them and your compass can get screwy if you get too too close - I do also see some noise when flying over with my planes on 1.3 if I'm not high enough, but otherwise I've never had issues. I'd be more worried about hitting them then them interfering on the 2.4 / 5.8 spectrum.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Personally, I find golf in general to be a waste of good real estate :D

I fly over lines like that all the time and I have never had any problems. I have even been standing right below the lines with the AC 50 feet above the lines with no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20