Should I buy a Phantom 4 Pro V2 today?

Reaction score
I've been given a $5000 budget for a new drone and accessories. The purpose of the drone is to capture imagery for photo orthomosaics of conservation lands, restoration projects, wildlife habitat. I'd like to get the Mavic 3, but no SDK, thus, no DroneDeploy or other automated flight capability. Any thoughts on how long will the P4PV2 be supported? I need this new drone to function for 5 years.

While the Phantom 4 Pro V2 is being discontinued, it is a fantastic drone with all you could want to do the work you intend to do with it. It will be supported for a long time yet because of the commercial models that are built on the same framework.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, just make sure you have plenty of batteries and take care of them. You might even pick up a lightly used one down the road for backup parts.

There really isn't any drone on the market that has come along to fill the Phantom 4 Pro's shoes. The mechanical shutter is still unique and important to aerial photography and mapping. The Phantom 4 pro is compatible with more automated mapping programs than any other and hold its own even in 2021.

I've been given a $5000 budget for a new drone and accessories. The purpose of the drone is to capture imagery for photo orthomosaics of conservation lands, restoration projects, wildlife habitat. I'd like to get the Mavic 3, but no SDK, thus, no DroneDeploy or other automated flight capability. Any thoughts on how long will the P4PV2 be supported? I need this new drone to function for 5 years.
I'd second that recommendation.
The Phantom 4 pro is probably the best mapping drone that you can get.
Mine is 5.5 years old and despite a hard working life, it still runs perfectly.

Try the P4P V1 first. Cheaper and has the same camera.
In general I agree with this. I have owned both the V1 and the v2 and for my purposes they are basically equal. However this is a drone being purchased for a business with a budget cap of $5000. It can be written off over a few years for the tax benefit plus other advantages:

1. You can still find new in box Phantom 4 Pro V2. This will give the purchaser a warranty and the chance to get the Care insurance.

2. Because the V2 is just being discontinued now the batteries almost automatically will be newer than a purchased V1 and no older than 2018.

3. The V2 is Ocusync and has a superior two way transmission signal that is less prone to interference.

4. Improved ESC and stock props for more power and a little more flight time. You can buy the new props but the V2 will come with them in the box.

In general I agree with this. I have owned both the V1 and the v2 and for my purposes they are basically equal. However this is a drone being purchased for a business with a budget cap of $5000. It can be written off over a few years for the tax benefit plus other advantages:

1. You can still find new in box Phantom 4 Pro V2. This will give the purchaser a warranty and the chance to get the Care insurance.

2. Because the V2 is just being discontinued now the batteries almost automatically will be newer than a purchased V1 and no older than 2018.

3. The V2 is Ocusync and has a superior two way transmission signal that is less prone to interference.

4. Improved ESC and stock props for more power and a little more flight time. You can buy the new props but the V2 will come with them in the box.
And not the best to use V2 props on the V1.

I bought my P4P v2 last August. The battery that came with was manufactured 4/21, the second purchased soon after, 7/21 and the last one purchased a couple months ago was manufactured 9/21.

I’d convince them to kick in a bit more and go for the DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced Drone,
Has a really nice IR Camera as well would should be great for what you’re doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers