Should I balance my blades?

Reaction score
Me again. When building my F450 (not finished yet, may not be for a while since I got my PV) there was a lot of emphasis in how to vids stating that the blades should be balanced. Have any of you PV owners felts a need to do this? I would imagine it couldn't hurt and perhaps extend the motor life and reliability, and of course eliminate any added vibration, although that doesn't seem to be a problem with this quad. Just curious. :roll:

Thanks.

Surely can't hurt. However, I've had my Phantom since July. I have 7 batteries and fly it a LEAST 14 flights a week. I have never balanced a blade and haven't ever notices any kind of vibration or jiggle with it. I find that I get the best jello free video if I use 60 fps though.

If you have a blade balancer, then great, do it. I'm sure if the blade is out of whack by a large amount, it may hurt your flight but for minimal out of balance issues, I don't think you'll even notice.

Now that's just ME! And I must say, if someone walked up to me and handed me a blade balance, I would use it!

t.rexxer said:
Me again. When building my F450 (not finished yet, may not be for a while since I got my PV) there was a lot of emphasis in how to vids stating that the blades should be balanced. Have any of you PV owners felts a need to do this? I would imagine it couldn't hurt and perhaps extend the motor life and reliability, and of course eliminate any added vibration, although that doesn't seem to be a problem with this quad. Just curious. :roll:

Thanks.

"kenskid" Surely can't hurt. However, I've had my Phantom since July. I have 7 batteries and fly it a LEAST 14 flights a week. I have never balanced a blade and haven't ever notices any kind of vibration or jiggle with it. I find that I get the best jello free video if I use 60 fps though.

If you have a blade balancer, then great, do it. I'm sure if the blade is out of whack by a large amount, it may hurt your flight but for minimal out of balance issues, I don't think you'll even notice.

Now that's just ME! And I must say, if someone walked up to me and handed me a blade balance, I would use it!

Thank you Kenskid. Much appreciated. Good advice. I'll check the balance when i finally unbox my pv. :roll:

I do have a (prop) balancer, use it for heli tail rotor blades and main rotor blades on smaller heli's. Have had the same one for 18 years, and they still sell it. Fairly cheap. Here's one of a million links to one if your interested:

http://www.helidirect.com/du-bro-499-tr ... p-7692.hdx

Man this forum is addicting! Getting late.. gotta .... get ...... some....... sleep........ zzzzzzzz

;)

Like I said, I'd stick em on the balance before I put them on the first time. That should be enough for good flight unless you bump something with the blade. Then I guess it wouldn't hurt to check them again. I might order a balance with my next prop and battery order.

t.rexxer said:
"kenskid" Surely can't hurt. However, I've had my Phantom since July. I have 7 batteries and fly it a LEAST 14 flights a week. I have never balanced a blade and haven't ever notices any kind of vibration or jiggle with it. I find that I get the best jello free video if I use 60 fps though.

Thank you Kenskid. Much appreciated. Good advice. I'll check the balance when i finally unbox my pv. :roll:

I do have a (prop) balancer, use it for heli tail rotor blades and main rotor blades on smaller heli's. Have had the same one for 18 years, and they still sell it. Fairly cheap. Here's one of a million links to one if your interested:

http://www.helidirect.com/du-bro-499-tr ... p-7692.hdx

Man this forum is addicting! Getting late.. gotta .... get ...... some....... sleep........ zzzzzzzz

;)

Like you said, couldn't hurt. Will give it a shot this weekend. btw: Some go so far as to balance the motors as well on their F450/550's. Using a vibration app on one's iPhone, it can be done but difficult (but not impossible) to do while on the model without the props attached (duh! :roll: ). Some actually attach the motor to a piece of tile or slate, then place the iPhone on the plate next to the motor. Balancing is accomplished using small strips of aluminumized (aluminiumized for our UK friends ;) ) tape used for duct work, found at a local home depot or such. Can be tedious, but before the damping mounts found on PV and other gimbal setups, it was a necessary procedure to eliminate vibration and the dreaded "jello" effect. Balancing the motors is probably overkill here but for those of us who like to fiddle, it can be kinda fun. Search of youtube and/or the multirotor forums can yield a vid or two on the procedure if anyone gets bored while it's snowing. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj