shorted aux power... now what

Reaction score
I did something really stupid and allowed the red and brown cables to touch at the solder joints with the power on in the process of installing a fpv tx on my phantom 2. Now there is no power coming from those cables. The video pair of cables is still working fine. What is the best way to go about powering the tx now... do I need to replace a board that I fried or is there somewhere else I can get power?

I'm obviously a novice, so I'm looking for a reasonable simple solution.

I'm curious what the answer is because I am too in that regard.

If you shorted the thin unregulated (11v) aux cables from the Phantom, it's possible you vaporized the wires, leaving the insulation intact. When you say there's no power coming from those cables, I assume you can still power up the Phantom, and everything else still works? The next thing I would do is test continuity of the aux wires, and if the connection is broken, unsolder it and replace it with a new thin aux lead. For gimbal/FPV power, you can use something pretty skinny like 24-26awg.

Edit: Just noticed this is on a P2. Now I'm not sure which wires you're talking about :)

Yes, it is a phantom 2. I have a h3-2d gimbal and gopro on there. Coming out of the same area as the gimbal connectors are 4 thin wires, a video out and ground pair and a +/- pair for power. These all connect to a transmitter, the one pair supplies the video coming in through the gimbal... That pair is still working fine. The other pair is the one I messed up, meaning that the transmitter gets no power.

I haven't opened the phantom yet, but I metered the wires at the solder joints and there's noting there.

:(

When you open up the P2 shell you'll most likely see a damaged part near the connector that cable is terminated at. I believe it is labeled 'cam'.

There are numerous accounts of this and thus a few proposed work-arounds, yet to be seen, you can research.

Otherwise it's about $70 USD for a replacement PC board and some soldering skills to replace it and repair your a/c.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues