Short video range

Reaction score
I recently got the Phantom 3 Advanced, and the range has been quite short the second time I flew it. I was up about 60 meters, and flew to the park about 400 meters away. I flew from my house, which is in the suburbs. There are a ton of trees and I am wondering if that could affect it. I was also not on an iPhone at all. I used my Moto X Pure, which uses 2.4 ghz, and an older iPad, which doesn't get data. I was wondering if any of these could affect it, or if it was maybe the trees that affected the signal. The app also wants me to update firmware, so I should probably do that. Last thing, do I need to do anything to enable lightbridge, which from what I understand, comes with the Phantom 3 Advanced? Supposedly lightbridge greaty increases the FPV range. I notice there are USB ports on the phantom. Do I need to plug anything in to enable light bridge?

I recently got the Phantom 3 Advanced, and the range has been quite short the second time I flew it. I was up about 60 meters, and flew to the park about 400 meters away. I flew from my house, which is in the suburbs. There are a ton of trees and I am wondering if that could affect it. I was also not on an iPhone at all. I used my Moto X Pure, which uses 2.4 ghz, and an older iPad, which doesn't get data. I was wondering if any of these could affect it, or if it was maybe the trees that affected the signal. The app also wants me to update firmware, so I should probably do that. Last thing, do I need to do anything to enable lightbridge, which from what I understand, comes with the Phantom 3 Advanced? Supposedly lightbridge greaty increases the FPV range. I notice there are USB ports on the phantom. Do I need to plug anything in to enable light bridge?
Not sure if you are losing control as well as video feed, but if it's just video (usually the first to drop out), it could well be the inteference from your surrounding area. You could try increasing the height of the drone to see if your video returns. Alternatively, it could be the processing power of your device or other apps running in the background slowing down the GO app (your device is not listed in the recommended list for use with phantom drones). As for using lightbridge, once you are connected to your RC via the cable to your device, you are good to go.
I would not upgrade your FW until you have either established that your height or antenna orientation are assisting with your video feed or that your device is running the app correctly. Updating your FW until then may create problems leading you down some dark hole.

Reactions: pdugery
Not sure if you are losing control as well as video feed, but if it's just video (usually the first to drop out), it could well be the inteference from your surrounding area. You could try increasing the height of the drone to see if your video returns. Alternatively, it could be the processing power of your device or other apps running in the background slowing down the GO app (your device is not listed in the recommended list for use with phantom drones). As for using lightbridge, once you are connected to your RC via the cable to your device, you are good to go.
I would not upgrade your FW until you have either established that your height or antenna orientation are assisting with your video feed or that your device is running the app correctly. Updating your FW until then may create problems leading you down some dark hole.

I flew again and my connection was definitely better. It seems to be when I try to lower the drone that the connection weakens. I flew it pretty high this time (200 meters) and I went about 500meters away with full signal. I will try going to an open area soon to test the range. I also am planning on using an iPhone to fly, instead of my Android.

I flew again and my connection was definitely better. It seems to be when I try to lower the drone that the connection weakens. I flew it pretty high this time (200 meters) and I went about 500meters away with full signal. I will try going to an open area soon to test the range. I also am planning on using an iPhone to fly, instead of my Android.
Good news, height is your friend to clear a myriad of potential physical and electrical issues. I'm not an Apple fanboy, but my devices just simply work without issue. Try taking it out in an open area, you'll be impressed with what these things can do. Responsibly of course......

Reactions: pdugery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj