Short range with 5.8ghz Remote Controller

Reaction score
Reading through the different threads in the forum I noticed that quite a few people have been experiencing short range with the remote. As I couldn't find any dedicated thread to it I thought I'd open one up so people can post their issues and how the problem got (hopefully) resolved.
I'm plagued with "Control Signal Lost" and "Return Home" messages.
My max distance has been 213meters / 700 feet - but control loss usually happens anywhere between 70meters/230feet and 170m/560 feet. This is happening on multiple occurrences in every flight I've had so far.
I've set my transmitter to FCC mode.
According to the DJI manual the remote controller's range: CE compliance 300m: FCC compliance 500m
As a side note I have no issues with the range extender- video hardly ever breaks up.
I've compiled a few of the remote's loss of control in the linked video.
http://youtu.be/T3BrX5ybHzU
What I've done so far to try and remedy the issue:
Used different batteries in the transmitter - even bought some Eneloop rechargeables.
Flew in different places.
Tried different antenna orientation including pointing skyward with no obstacles in the way.
Checked the black antenna wire was intact inside the transmitter which it appears to be.

I've run out of ideas what what else to try before sending it back.

Updated firmware
Firmware versions:
5.8GHz Remote Controller V1.0.2.22
5.8GHz Receiver V1.0.1.3
Main controller 1.08
P330CB 1.0. 1.19
Battery 1.6.0.0
GPS: 6.0.1.3

Luap said:
I'm plagued with "Control Signal Lost" and "Return Home" messages.
My max distance has been 213meters / 700 feet - but control loss usually happens anywhere between 70meters/230feet and 170m/560 feet. This is happening on multiple occurrences in every flight I've had so far.

I have contacted my dealer, describing exactly the same symptoms. I get "Control Signal Lost" on every flight where I venture further than 50 m (150 ft) and the unit frequently goes into RTH mode which I then have to break out of. I will give them a day or so more to respond.

The video has never cut out on me. I have not been able to fly the P2V far enough away for the video signal to drop.

Yeah that's really strange. In FCC mode I've been flying my phantom so far away (2000+ feet) and just haven't been able to lose signal yet.

Luap, check the two tiny 5.8Ghz antenna wires taped to the inside legs of Vision and make sure they're straight and pointing down. Same with the pole antenna on your TX/Contoller... The tip of the pole should be pointing straight up towards the sky, with its broadside facing the Vision.

iDrone

Luap, thanks for starting this thread. I thought that the much shorter flights I was experiencing with my Vision compared to my Phantom were just inherent with the change in the frequency of the controller. After seeing your post, I realized that in my neighborhood, my Vision wouldn't fly more than 100 meters and in an open field, it wouldn't fly more than 300 meters. I'm thinking that I should complain to dronefly. Did you have any luck with your dealer?

iDrone said:
Luap, check the two tiny 5.8Ghz antenna wires taped to the inside legs of Vision and make sure they're straight and pointing down. Same with the pole antenna on your TX/Contoller... The tip of the pole should be pointing straight up towards the sky, with its broadside facing the Vision.

iDrone

Thanks - checked the two wires and they are as you say. I tried various combinations with the transmitter's antenna orientation (including pointing to the sky and broadside facing Vision)and none gave me more range.

I'm returning the Phantom to the dealer.

I'd open up both your Phantom & Tx/Controller and check the solder joints on antennas. DJI has a MAJOR problem with their solder joints. While Phantom is open check ALL the solder joints... vibration is your enemy.

I returned my unit to the dealer. They reported back that the P2V flew as intended when coupled with a new transmitter so they are sending me my trusted P2V and including a new transmitter.

Dronefly said that "DJI informed us last night that any range issues that customers are having are strictly due to a defective remote and not the phantom itself."

Looking forward to getting it back and getting airborne again. Great service and comms from Dronefly throughout the process.

Getting only 150ft range with my vision! Does anyone know how to pair the unit with another transmitter so I can determine where the problem lies? I've done a visual inspection of the Transmitter and everything looks fine. I live on a small island so sending back to B&H is costly and time consuming. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ok crosspost -> http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php? ... 594#p61005 (u dont have to go there... i post it here)
forgive me... i find THIS thread here just today :)

part1:
after a week of non-flying i took the baby outside and fly a little round.
then after a dist. of ~100m/330ft and an altitude of ~75m/250ft the msg "control signal lost" appears on my iphone screen :(
it goes off again.... comes back in a few seconds, same for 4-5 times, then the copter goes "going home" mode.

flying mode is phantom

i checked the rc:
- checked the orientation of the antenna, was in 90° position to copter (the long side...)
- fcc mode, beep twice .... seems ok
- batteries 1-4 > 1.3 volt.... seems ok
- open the rc for the atenna cable..... no damage/connector still plugged in ..... seems ok
- uses the same iphone 5 with gsm on. mobil radio was not a problem before... so... seems ok

before that, i reached on open field a range > 3000 feet dist. with 430ft altitude, only the wifi drops out, not the control signal.
i use this setup: -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3880&p=55706#p55706
all was fine.

part2:
ive made new testflights today with....
- new batteries in the rc -> ok
- open the copter and control the plugs of the antenna cables -> ok
- with the original wlan-range-extender without any modification

in FCC mode: 200m/650ft dist. / 130m/420ft alt. -> rc signal lost
in CE mode: 100m/330ft dist. / 55m/180ft alt. -> rc signal lost
:(

i think, the transmitter in either the RC or in the copter is broken/damaged

part3:
i returned the whole package today to my dealer. i am exited, what DJI Europe wants to do with it....

zmb said:
part3:
i returned the whole package today to my dealer. i am exited, what DJI Europe wants to do with it....

I've sent mime back to the dealer since a month and still nothing back. Please post results when you get yours in return.

Luap said:
zmb said:
part3:

I've sent mime back to the dealer since a month and still nothing back. Please post results when you get yours in return.

Please let us know the results. Interested to find out if it is a transmitter, or receiver issue.

its only 5 days in support... i think it tool weeks... 2-3 at least.

i'll give updates, if there is one :)

Dronefly determined that the problem was with the transmitter. They replaced the transmitter and returned my original P2V to me. The range is now MUCH longer. I haven't conducted a full test yet by taking the P2V to an area without obstructions but it is nice to be able to fly with a better range.

As a bonus, the new transmitter has the USB connector port on the outside.

larsplougmann said:
Dronefly determined that the problem was with the transmitter. They replaced the transmitter and returned my original P2V to me. The range is now MUCH longer. I haven't conducted a full test yet by taking the P2V to an area without obstructions but it is nice to be able to fly with a better range.

As a bonus, the new transmitter has the USB connector port on the outside.

Thanks for the update. I have ordered a new transmitter :) Already tried a new receiver board so hopefully this will get me going long range.

I was getting the same problem with limited range, I thought maybe it was my fault as I tugged a little on the antenna wire when I opened the TX during upgrade. I changed out the antenna & wire and problem is gone. Still not sure if it was my error or not but the result = no loss of time with unit and minimal cost.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pitchpost