Short flight time - too much power comsumption?

Reaction score
Hello.

I own Phantom 2 v2 with fpv attached (Boscam Tunderbolt TS5830 1000 mW) and I have a problem with short flight time < 18min. There is no gimbal attached - just simple mount for GoPro camera. Is it Boscam Tx taking so much energy or it might be something different? Battery is new (97% base capacity).

Ps. I'm new on this forum so please forgive me if I created thread in bad group or something
smile.gif

Hi djbacha

the power consumption of Boscam Tunderbolt TS5830 1000 mW is rated at around 200mA/12V, which is very little, I would look around the forum's and see what other OP's are getting for flight times of a P2 v2.

I don't recall getting much more flight time out of my P2 when I had it... !

Waylander

Thank You for Your reply!
From where did You get this power consumption estimation? I did a test and I checked current usage (in Phantom Assistant Software) with and without fpv attached. With FPV on it was around -1400mA and without -400mA (voltage was the same in both situations ~12A) - so pretty big difference. Is it as expected?
Another guess not connected with this values is that motors are not in good condition and need more power to hover copter (my local seller in RC shop told me that but I'm wondering if he just want me to sell expensive motors...)

Thank You for Your reply!
From where did You get this power consumption estimation? I did a test and I checked current usage (in Phantom Assistant Software) with and without fpv attached. With FPV on it was around -1400mA and without -400mA (voltage was the same in both situations ~12A) - so pretty big difference. Is it as expected?
Another guess not connected with this values is that motors are not in good condition and need more power to hover copter (my local seller in RC shop told me that but I'm wondering if he just want me to sell expensive motors...)

Hi
I'm not quite sure we are on the same wave length, do you have a "Boscam Tunderbolt TS5830 1000 mW" video transmitter attached to your P2.
You say that you are looking at the current consumption via the Phantom Assistant Software, I assume the P2 is stationary on a flat surface, and you take readings with the Boscam connected to the Phantom, and then take current readings with the Boscam disconnected Yes...? also you mean (voltage was the same in both situations @ 12 volts Dc).
The 200mA figure was the input current consumption and was obtained from a supplier of the Boscam Tx. Another though, is the GoPro camera Red charging LED on during the test..?
Waylander

Yes, that's exactly what i meant. I checked power consumption here (attachement) - but this is not my actual statistics, I downloaded it from Internet.
First check was with Boscam attached second without Boscam (motors disabled, Phantom just enabled lying on a flat surface).
About GoPro... I don't know I will check it later. Is it possible that GoPro is charging from P2 battery? How to disable that?

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 468
Yes, that's exactly what i meant. I checked power consumption here (attachement) - but this is not my actual statistics, I downloaded it from Internet.
First check was with Boscam attached second without Boscam (motors disabled, Phantom just enabled lying on a flat surface).
About GoPro... I don't know I will check it later. Is it possible that GoPro is charging from P2 battery? How to disable that?

Your power consumption tests are inconclusive without the motors running with props attached. That flight time of 25 minutes DJI post in it's literature has to any variables in it such as weight, flight conditions and battery life. Not knowing the weight of your P2 and what other equipment you have attached and have seen the current condition of that battery you lucky.to get 18 minutes of flight time.

Hi if you have the GoPro connected to your Phantom via by its USB port, then dependant on the connection configuration, the GoPro can be charged through the USB port, so it may be drawing current.

Waylander

Hi if you have the GoPro connected to your Phantom via by its USB port, then dependant on the connection configuration, the GoPro can be charged through the USB port, so it may be drawing current.

Waylander

Doesn't make much difference whether or not the GoPro is being powered as his test for current draw is flawed without running the motors. The real fact is that battery is not capable of delivering more than 18 minutes.

Hi again.
So I did some more tests to make it more reliable :
- My phantom 2 with Boscam Tunderbolt TS5830 1000 mW + cloverleaf antenna + GoPro 4 silver + GoPro mount+ ND filter + propellers weight is exactly 1237g (photo attached)
- GoPro is not charged by P2 during flight
- P2 flight time with FPV on is 16 min (red flashing lights), 17 min started to descending
- P2 flight time with FPV off (still attached to drone but not powered) is 18 min (red flashing lights), around 20 min started to descend
- I attach my P2 battery statistics from Phantom 2 Assistant Software

I remember when I had only GoPro + mount it was flying at least +2 min. The battery is pretty new so I think something might be not right.. Please advise me.

Attachments

• P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 410
  • battery statistics.jpg
    battery statistics.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 433
Hi again.
So I did some more tests to make it more reliable :
- My phantom 2 with Boscam Tunderbolt TS5830 1000 mW + cloverleaf antenna + GoPro 4 silver + GoPro mount+ ND filter + propellers weight is exactly 1237g (photo attached)
- GoPro is not charged by P2 during flight
- P2 flight time with FPV on is 16 min (red flashing lights), 17 min started to descending
- P2 flight time with FPV off (still attached to drone but not powered) is 18 min (red flashing lights), around 20 min started to descend
- I attach my P2 battery statistics from Phantom 2 Assistant Software

I remember when I had only GoPro + mount it was flying at least +2 min. The battery is pretty new so I think something might be not right.. Please advise me.

Your flight time of 17 minutes is normal for the weight of the P2 with the battery you posted in this thread. Now if you are expecting 20 minutes or more it isn't going to happen no matter how many test you run. My P2 weighs 121 grams more than yours and I have been flying for more then 2 years with 5200 mAh batteries and have never surpassed 16 minutes from spin up to auto landing at 15% of battery life.

Also noticed that the 1000mw TX not only uses more power then a 600mw TX I use but so does that fan cooling your TX.

Ok, thanks for reply. I was thinking about changing my Boscam TX to Immersion RC 600 mW. That might help a little.
Another question : is it any way to test motors condition? when is a good moment to replace them? once my Phantom just felt from the sky during turning. I have sent it to DJI but they just changed the battery.

Your power consumption tests are inconclusive without the motors running with props attached. That flight time of 25 minutes DJI post in it's literature has to any variables in it such as weight, flight conditions and battery life. Not knowing the weight of your P2 and what other equipment you have attached and have seen the current condition of that battery you lucky.to get 18 minutes of flight time.

Hi jason
If you look at post #5 you will see his photo shows the quiescent current drain from the bird in it's powered up state without the motors running, this is for a reason, he did the test with the FPV tx powered up and a second test without it powered. the difference between the two current readings shows how much current the FPV transmitter was drawing from the drones battery, so for him the figure he was trying to establish, i.e "how much current does the FPV transmitter draw" was a perfectly valid test, :)
Waylander

Reactions: bernek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik