Short after connecting transmitter and ios to phantom

Reaction score
Hey guys,

first post here, first trouble -.- .

I have the P2 since a few weeks, flew it some times and wanted to add FPV as it is really hard to guess what the gopro sees.
I went ahead and bought this kit http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html ( all in one, easy etc. price kinda high but alright). Received it yesterday plus my iosd. I realized that i didn´t want to solder wires so I went ahead and bought this as it´s just plug and ready. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LDX65OS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Mounted everything on there, connected the iosd, plugged in the wires for the transmitter, other plug into the iosd and middle part into the CAM port on the P2 board. All done and looked fine. Wanted to test if it works now and turned on RC and the phantom. Zack the thing next to the CAM port had a short and lit up for a sec.

This is the part that "burnt": http://imgur.com/aGPfx0T
What went wrong? How bad is it ?

Attachments

• IMG-20150117-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20150117-WA0002.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 441
I think what happened was that you ordered a plug and play for an ImmersionRC brand transmitter... but the helipal kit has a Boscam brand transmitter. They have different wiring lay outs so it caused a short. Probably have to replace the whole main board where the short occured.

Now I am not sure how to check if your Boscam transmitter or IOSDmini suffered any electrical damage.

Here is the correct plug and play cable for use with Boscam Transmitter https://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable-for-Phantom2-with-DJI-iOSD-Mini-and-Zenmuse-Flysight-Boscam-Foxtech.html

mendezl said:
I think what happened was that you ordered a plug and play for an ImmersionRC brand transmitter... but the helipal kit has a Boscam brand transmitter. They have different wiring lay outs so it caused a short. Probably have to replace the whole main board where the short occured.

Now I am not sure how to check if your Boscam transmitter or IOSDmini suffered any electrical damage.

Here is the correct plug and play cable for use with Boscam Transmitter https://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable-for-Phantom2-with-DJI-iOSD-Mini-and-Zenmuse-Flysight-Boscam-Foxtech.html

****. That little cable :/
I hope that the transmitter and the iosd didn't die too. I should be able to test the iosd by pluging it to my pc via the USB cable right ?

So I need to get this http://www.helipal.com/phantom2-10-dji- ... board.html
And the right cable this time? Assuming that I didn't mess up more :/

Yeah that board. Sucks you gotta solder the power cables for the 4 ESCs.
Maybe wait a few days to see if anyone else can confirm that this is what happened.

The chances are that the iosd and TX will be fine. The issue is that Immersion and Boscam have connected the + & - the other way around, but the Boscam has a diode to protect it, which causes damage to the main board. If you get this the other way around and connect an Immersion TX with a Boscam cable, it generally kills the TX.

Not sure which is the best way around TBH...

Sadly I think you got the voltage line and either video or negative reversed.... That would have fried the TX board the iOSD should be ok. I have been doing electronic repairs for years. and have learned one trick that has saved me a few times. Check voltage polarity of the unit rue plugging into and ensure its correct on the power line you're feeding from.... Or else its mini fireworks and smoke.

Check ---- Check and double check... then once you have it assembled and wired up - check - check and double check again

mendezl said:
Yeah that board. Sucks you gotta solder the power cables for the 4 ESCs.
Maybe wait a few days to see if anyone else can confirm that this is what happened.

that sucks. but thanks for your help.

noiseboy72 said:
The chances are that the iosd and TX will be fine. The issue is that Immersion and Boscam have connected the + & - the other way around, but the Boscam has a diode to protect it, which causes damage to the main board. If you get this the other way around and connect an Immersion TX with a Boscam cable, it generally kills the TX.

Not sure which is the best way around TBH...

Okay I see. Thanks for giving me some insight! Will get that board replaced and the right cable hoping that I won´t mess up again.

Crazykaktus said:
Sadly I think you got the voltage line and either video or negative reversed.... That would have fried the TX board the iOSD should be ok. I have been doing electronic repairs for years. and have learned one trick that has saved me a few times. Check voltage polarity of the unit rue plugging into and ensure its correct on the power line you're feeding from.... Or else its mini fireworks and smoke.

Check ---- Check and double check... then once you have it assembled and wired up - check - check and double check again
Yeah maybe I should read the product description more closely next time ;(

Thanks for you response!

BTW, although your problem has been diagnosed, your first link didn't take me to the kit, just a RC website.

Also, for others who may not know, if you suspect internal damage, remove the battery (s) promptly as it just might keep more damage from occurring

Welcome to the forum!! And I'm sorry for the bad luck.

PhantomFanatic said:
BTW, although your problem has been diagnosed, your first link didn't take me to the kit, just a RC website.

Also, for others who may not know, if you suspect internal damage, remove the battery (s) promptly as it just might keep more damage from occurring

Welcome to the forum!! And I'm sorry for the bad luck.
Looks like the link got broken :) here´s the link again :D http://www.helipal.com/storm-all-in-one-fpv-combo-deluxe.html

Yes I got really afraid when that short happened and really upset with myself for not reading before ordering the cable. But hey this way I get to know the internal parts of my P2 better.

Had lots of fun with it already but it´s pretty hard to figure out what the camera sees without FPV. If someone´s interested here´s what I got. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuLyJ-y2Gg[/youtube]
Needs some work on the recording part tho.

I made same mistake when I upgraded mt transmitter (fwiw, both cables are different and you can tell by the color coding). I should have checked. :(

Anyway, there is a solution. After you check the wires to the correct pinout, you can power the transmitter through the main power connection of the motherboard. This is what I did and it works fine.

I'm not sure it would be recommended, but I did it anyway.

Ohary said:
I made same mistake when I upgraded mt transmitter (fwiw, both cables are different and you can tell by the color coding). I should have checked. :(

Anyway, there is a solution. After you check the wires to the correct pinout, you can power the transmitter through the main power connection of the motherboard. This is what I did and it works fine.

I'm not sure it would be recommended, but I did it anyway.
I´m going to replace the whole board ( not taking a risk with this expensive beast) and connecting it using the right cables this time :)
Got the board and boscam cable and just need to replace it later.

I felt so stupid that night lol it was 1 am when I messed up :D

If you are going to throw away the board, let me make an offer and pay for shipping, if you are given it back. If not, insist on it and see what happens!

PhantomFanatic said:
If you are going to throw away the board, let me make an offer and pay for shipping, if you are given it back. If not, insist on it and see what happens!
I just finished the swap. Everything seems to be working now. The diode of the boscam transmitter is obviously burned but as it will remain in the phantom for the rest of its lifetime I will not bother resoldering etc a new diode in there. Is that alright or too risky ?
Plus a new transmitter isn´t this expensive etc.
Can´t think of any reasoning for the company to give me money or exchange etc as I obviously can´t explain this accident but blaiming it on myself.

Hopefully going to take it for a flight tomorrow and check if it behaves right.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.