Shifting Horizon

Reaction score
Thought I posted this but, apparently, I didn't.

Anyway, was flying the other day. Working on my video and I noticed--at times--my horizon is tilted. Not all of the time, just every so often. I had noticed this with some stills but just didn't think anything of it.

Here's an example video of what I'm talking about. For this video, I corrected for the lens distortion and leveled the horizon in Photoshop and exported from iMovie.

http://youtu.be/q6hrDIlTXpQ

Thanks.

jonboy73 said:
I had a similar issue with mine, I did something in the software, a gimble calibration I think it was.
I've been looking for a calibration for the gimbal but can't find anything in the application. Where did you find it?

Are you refferring to the advance imu calibration...Run that with the phantom on a flat service and it may correct the issue...also once in the air...initiate FPV and fly a few seconds then un initiate it and see what happens. Hope it helps.

lsteigerwalt said:
Are you refferring to the advance imu calibration...Run that with the phantom on a flat service and it may correct the issue...also once in the air...initiate FPV and fly a few seconds then un initiate it and see what happens. Hope it helps.
Honestly, I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe there was a calibration for the gimbal. But can't find anything.

The bigger issue is, it's not un-level all of the time. So it's not like others who've had the problem where it's always off.

lsteigerwalt said:
Are you refferring to the advance imu calibration...
it could have been that, tbh I ran every calibration I could find on the software!

I recall it advised that it was not needed, but I did it anyway.

I have to be honest, I fixed it more by luck than by design..

freeskier989 said:
Im having the same problem. I film and some angles above my house are tilted more on the left and other views in a 360 turn not so much. See video example (and enjoy beautiful coastal shots): http://youtu.be/bU8KzaEFeFw
Yours is consistently down on the left though, you might try the trick here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19653

Hmmm...hate to mess with it if its not a physical problem to start. Seems like the video is level at some angles but when im looking out at the ocean it slopes more on the left.

I *think* I'm starting to have this problem as well. My last flight this past Friday seemed a little off with an uneven horizon at times. I'll have to do some more flights to be sure if it was due to some other reasons during that particular flight. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in case.

I think that just as the other linked post states for a fix, the magnet / D shaped axis mount is getting shifted a bit creating the uneven tilt (where the camera is not perfectly level with even ground) and you would have to remove the back of the gimbal to access and grab and shift it back. It may be from hard, jarring landings - this thing is so fragile that one bad landing sending vibrations through the gimbal camera could account for the shift. I also think manufacturing specs / QA from the factories is also a culprit, where mine seems to have done it from out of the box. I had mine for only 10 days and since there was no fix (no software calibration that could adjust - prob a pipe dream anyways as it seems to be a physical / mechanical problem) i opened a RMA and hopefully the new one will be straight. Others have seen it come on after a number of flights, where again i think its the process of shifting that D shaped axis point left or right.

freeskier989 said:
I think that just as the other linked post states for a fix, the magnet / D shaped axis mount is getting shifted a bit creating the uneven tilt (where the camera is not perfectly level with even ground) and you would have to remove the back of the gimbal to access and grab and shift it back. It may be from hard, jarring landings - this thing is so fragile that one bad landing sending vibrations through the gimbal camera could account for the shift. I also think manufacturing specs / QA from the factories is also a culprit, where mine seems to have done it from out of the box. I had mine for only 10 days and since there was no fix (no software calibration that could adjust - prob a pipe dream anyways as it seems to be a physical / mechanical problem) i opened a RMA and hopefully the new one will be straight. Others have seen it come on after a number of flights, where again i think its the process of shifting that D shaped axis point left or right.
This isn't the problem I'm having. It has never landed hard. It's also not permanently shifted (watch my example video). It's straight most of the time but only every so often does it shift.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik