Shielding GPS Module?

Reaction score
Hi! I used to have a Phantom 2 Vision+... as some might know, their design sucks; the wifi module would interfere with the crappily shrouded gps. The fix was to cover the underside of the lid around the gps with foil tape.

Is anyone doing this on a non-Vision Phantom 2? Just bought a P2 and its gps looks poorly shrouded as well. There may be less under the hood to interfere with satellite connectivity but I have the tape left over and was wondering if it's a benefit on this model as well.

Not that I'm aware of. It can't hurt to try. Which foil are you using?

ianwood said:
Not that I'm aware of. It can't hurt to try. Which foil are you using?

I'm not a vision user but use rf copper shielding on allot of things other than the quad.. Yes, should be on the top ten mods of any GPS mod or any transmitter and receiver.. High End stereo equipment and tx/ex equipment go through great lengths for top performance.. We pay to play lol.. I get/receive 5+ satellites just sitting in the dining room with this mod.. Usually 9-12 satellites normally after quick acquisition outside (location/interference).. Can't go wrong, and doesn't hurt so long as nothing else grounds out. Shield the shield...

This sounds like a good plan to reduce the odds of interference problems.

Does anyone have pictures of where exactly and how they've added shielding like this? Mine is in bits at the moment so it'd be nice to add some.

Silly question now, I know copper is the norm for this sort of thing but in the absence of any, does aluminium foil still work ok?

I did the same mod on the Vision Plus and yielded excellent results. DJI has addressed this as Ver 3 of the VIsion Plus has the extended copper shielding. I just upgraded to the P2 Ver 2 but disappointed that they didn't do it all upgraded units across the board..

My Vision Plus has household foil and packing tape to prevent shorting.

I did the same with my P2 but used adhesive foil tape with clear packing tape.
Copper%20shielding.jpg

And remember to tuck the cable under the copper shield and then do the foil mod/fix.

I think its a must to block unwanted EMI. The last thing you want is an ATTI drift away. You think its coming home, but loses sats and floats off..

Thanks for the pic - that's helpful. Pretty much all the comments I read about adding shielding seem to relate to Vision/Vision+ rather than a normal P2, but does the P2 have something additional that the others don't have, or is this an issue because of different electronics that are more noisy on the Vision/+?? Sorry if I've missed that.

I wanted to get some aluminium tape today but haven't found any locally so will have to order some.

One thing that I think I want to do as well is to wrap any wires/cables as well. Most of the ribbon cables etc are very thin and have thin insulation and while I'm not an expert on RF matters I can't help but think that important signal/control/nav related wiring really should be shielded to protect against RF interference as a matter of course. I've looked for a while and can't find metal braid to add over existing wires readily available, so I was just going to cover with foil and normal tape.

Has anyone tried this or found any benefits? I guess you can't really measure about benefit of this but I would hope it might reduce the risk of control problems all round.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31