She's a drifter....FIXED!

Reaction score
My P2V+ is a drifter. In GPS mode, she slowly drifts. Something changed recently between the firmware upgrade and advanced calibration (I know this complicates matters because I combined several changes, sorry.) But the fact is, she used to be rock steady in GPS mode. Now, in GPS mode, she will sometimes drift - no wind - no inputs. Actually, with inputs from the Controller, it seems to cause even more drift.

I have done multiple Copter and Controller Assistant calibrations, including Advanced Calibrations. I've installed new blades. No recent crashes.

The copter still flies well but the drifting is coming from somewhere and I would like to fix it, if possible. The drifting is becoming a problem in FPV mode - several close calls already. I was depending on the GPS mode to hold accurately in place but now I have to be very careful not to drift into obstacles.

I found this video of a gentleman having the same issue:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUqMoANsBM[/youtube]

Any others experiencing this phenomenon?

Thanks

Re: She's a drifter.

lsteigerwalt said:
Did you happen to crash it at all? Hard landing...just trying help rule things out.

Yes, I can not tell a lie. I crashed the copter about four weeks ago. During the weeks following the crash, I did not experience the drifting issue. GPS mode has always been rock steady. The GPS drifting issue is something that has started recently, like in the past week or so.

Also, 8+ satellites is typical in my open flying area.

Thanks

Have you tried shielding the GPS with aluminum or copper tape as described in another thread? Sounds like the camera may be causing interference with the GPS.

denofr said:
Have you tried shielding the GPS with aluminum or copper tape as described in another thread? Sounds like the camera may be causing interference with the GPS.

You know, I have not done that mod yet but I did purchase the aluminum tape with the intent to do it soon. After seeing the success everyone has experienced here, it looks like making this simple modification is a good idea - no matter if you're having issues or not.

You make a good point and I will report back after performing the shielding modification. Maybe the GPS drifting issue is related to the GPS shielding.

Thanks

If you have 8+ satellites at all times, adding the shielding will most likely not help your case. The shielding is only needed if your bird is having problems acquiring >=6 sats because of interference from the wifi module of the camera. Certainly can't hurt though.

I would be more inclined to reflashing the firmware with whatever you are currently using. Or try flashing with say 1.08, test flying it, then going back to a higher version if you desire the features of > v1.08.

Gr8Chef said:
My P2V+ is a drifter. In GPS mode, she slowly drifts. Something changed recently between the firmware upgrade and advanced calibration (I know this complicates matters because I combined several changes, sorry.) But the fact is, she used to be rock steady in GPS mode. Now, in GPS mode, she will sometimes drift - no wind - no inputs. Actually, with inputs from the Controller, it seems to cause even more drift.

I have done multiple Copter and Controller Assistant calibrations, including Advanced Calibrations. I've installed new blades. No recent crashes.

The copter still flies well but the drifting is coming from somewhere and I would like to fix it, if possible. The drifting is becoming a problem in FPV mode - several close calls already. I was depending on the GPS mode to hold accurately in place but now I have to be very careful not to drift into obstacles.

I found this video of a gentleman having the same issue:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUqMoANsBM[/youtube]

Any others experiencing this phenomenon?

Thanks
Just a thought... Have you removed the top half of the shell & checked to see if the ceramic GPS unit under the top shell is cracked? You'll have to peel back the grey stick shielding to access it. I have seen many pictures of them cracked, they seem to be very fragile & a hard crash can crack them

Your phantom Transmitter remote could have a bad s1 switch. Check with the lights on the phantom and see what color she is blinking when in flight. You can also check if the switch is working by doing the transmitter calibration. Just move the switches up and down and see if you are getting a response.

Really preciate the input guys. Here's where I am...

No visible cracks in the shell. Will do a thorough damage check when I remove the shell to do the GPS aluminum tape shield mod.

TEST FLIGHT

If still drifting, will downgrade one generation of firmware to v1.08.

TEST FLIGHT

If still drifting, will go into the Controller to troubleshoot switches.

TEST FLIGHT

If still drifting, cuss very loudly.

Thanks

Did you calibrate the controller using the rc assistant first before you calibrated it via the Phantom assistant ?

Also , how are your compass values when connected to the assistant ?

Mine started doing the same exact thing after 3 flights. Out of the blue it just started with NO COLLISIONS. Had it 7 days. I calibrated everything there was to calibrate including the IMU and the values are always between 1400-1600. I boxed her up and shipped back to Dronefly and told them to replace or refund. I now have no confidence in this unit.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
Did you calibrate the controller using the rc assistant first before you calibrated it via the Phantom assistant ?

I will add this sequence of calibrations to my troubleshooting plan. I did not realize it mattered; "calibrate the controller using the rc assistant first before you calibrated it via the Phantom assistant ?

Will do ...I will report back results.

Thanks

Re: She's a drifter - FIXED

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:

You guys are awesome. She's not drifting any longer! She's very stable in GPS mode, just like new.

I took my time and carefully performed calibrations in order; #1-Controller using RC Assistant and then #2-calibrated the copter using Phantom Assistant, including Advance.

Also performed a Compass calibration.

Steady hover again.

Many thanks for the guidance!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20