Shell replacement cost

Reaction score
Anyone know how much DJI charges for a shell replacement in the US?

I see lots of posts on the topic but none seem to mention cost.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Anyone know how much DJI charges for a shell replacement in the US?
To clarify, are you asking how much it costs if you send your Phantom to DJI?

Forget it after a crash. That's user error. As for P4, while tougher, put in enough miles instead of hovering and they crack as well. Here is where they crack every time. Better design but material thickness could still be improved.
20160819_150113.jpg

OK. Finished. I replaced the main board and the complete shell including landing gear (although the old one was not damaged) after a crash. Since the center board is essentially the "brain" of the bird, when I turned it on, not only did it want me to register the "new" bird just as if it actually were a new bird, but it also needed to be updated to the latest firmware. After that, I calibrated the the bird, IMU, compass and gimbal. Then I started the motors and made sure they all turned the proper way. All is OK. Tomorrow, I'll take it for a basic test flight. It sure looks and feels brand new! Total cost around $200.

Reactions: Jimmy1952
Took my "second" first flight today. Totally stable, all sensors and controls work great, video looks great!
Got a new bird!

I just finished replacing the shell on my p4. She'll cost was around 66 bucks. Kind of crazy how they mounted the motors . You either have to cut wires or de solder fron ESc board. I opted to cut wires... Just a warning , need to clean wires , they have a coating on them that must be removed , or they wont solder.

I just finished replacing the shell on my p4. She'll cost was around 66 bucks. Kind of crazy how they mounted the motors . You either have to cut wires or de solder fron ESc board. I opted to cut wires... Just a warning , need to clean wires , they have a coating on them that must be removed , or they wont solder.
I hope you got the insulation thoroughly of each of the individual strands. As you have likely worked out, the fly leads are simply a continuation of the motor windings. One poor connection and you will have one field coil not properly energised.

I think I did , used some very fine sandpaper and a fine wire brush on a Dramel toot , and pre tinned. Has been flying good but I am still not totally happy with the job. Being a Helicopter mechanic in real life , I am problem overly cutious.

I think I did , used some very fine sandpaper and a fine wire brush on a Dramel toot , and pre tinned. Has been flying good but I am still not totally happy with the job. Being a Helicopter mechanic in real life , I am problem overly cutious.

Your braver than I am. I was only looking at the the way the hub and control links are put together in a bell Long ranger yesterday and decided I wouldn't like the responsibility of putting that back together.

Your braver than I am. I was only looking at the the way the hub and control links are put together in a bell Long ranger yesterday and decided I wouldn't like the responsibility of putting that back together.
IiNever worked on a Ranger , just Huey and Cobra. Of course the same safety practices apply to all. My main concern was having a weak link and a heated wire may finish it off. I may have to do what I was trying to avoid, run new wires from the ESC boards and have and extra good connection up close to the motors. , or 3 good conections .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20