Shell Crumbling

Reaction score
Has anyone else pulled apart the shell and put it back together just to have the screws crack the plastic everywhere they are! I really don't feel I over torqued these, or didn't at the time, but literally the thing just crumbled around each screw!

Anyone else with bad experiences here?

that is what I seem to be finding. I am just amazed that it could take that effect in literally 10min.
But the plastic definitely didn't just crack, it almost changed forms in some cases to a soft, darn near thick paste or almost like an not quite cured clay texture.
Needless to say, I am forced to get the shell replaced. Would be cool to see some aftermarket carbon fiber or better designed/supported plastic shells....

I am completely new to RCs...so I guess this is how I gotta learn!
Thanks again!

motobtn said:
that is what I seem to be finding. I am just amazed that it could take that effect in literally 10min.
But the plastic definitely didn't just crack, it almost changed forms in some cases to a soft, darn near thick paste or almost like an not quite cured clay texture.
Needless to say, I am forced to get the shell replaced. Would be cool to see some aftermarket carbon fiber or better designed/supported plastic shells....

I am completely new to RCs...so I guess this is how I gotta learn!
Thanks again!

Oof, yeah, Loctite eats plastic. At least it's not a super expensive fix.

New shells are only $50-$65
or rather,. they will be once dealers actually get them in stock!@# :evil: :twisted:

I'd love to see a more robust frame as well, as I crashed mine 3 weeks ago, the arms are definitely a bit weak.
.. and I'm still waiting for a new shell.

exactly the same problem I have run into, not being able to get the new shell!
Sounds like they are getting them in a couple weeks, but I would love not to have to wait that long...

motobtn said:
exactly the same problem I have run into, not being able to get the new shell!
Sounds like they are getting them in a couple weeks, but I would love not to have to wait that long...

dang frustrating how long it's taking.
my dealer now says "end of March".

I have exactly this same issue too with my Phantom, I have opened the case about twice (wanted to upgrade the motors to robbe BL 2826/14).
I contacted DJI and they have told me to go back to my Dealer (ERC Market in Hoeilaart, Belgium) and see what they can do. So Im going to try that and see what happens
I hope DJI will take the right attitude to deal with this, because I do love the Quad :)
Victor

It seems that there is no evidence of other people reporting this issue, so it could be the use of loctite that has caused the problem.
I managed to repair my casing a little (while I wait for a new case to arrive) by gluing a small piece of carbon fibre rod, into the hole and then using a slightly longer screw (to what was supplied) to secure it

I have started to get airframe cracking around the Gopro mount brass thread inserts so not a loctite issue. I have been experimenting with a couple of different mounts so there has been some degree of extra stress in this area but have been careful not to overtighten.

my shell is now crumbling too. stress fractures and cracks first started to appear under the motor mounts on two of the arms a few weeks ago. one of them is so bad now, that i am afraid to fly it. :( no lock tight was used. did not touch the motor mount screws. no severe crashes, although I have flipped it on a couple of occasions landing it on an uneven / sloped area with a camera attached. still has stock motors, although two of the the rear motors sounds like they need their bearings replaced. ordered replacement shell from DLSRPROS but they sent an email stating they do not have any in stock and are unable to provide ETA on it.

filled out their technical support form on DJI's "contact" us page. will see what they say.

motobtn said:
Has anyone else pulled apart the shell and put it back together just to have the screws crack the plastic everywhere they are! I really don't feel I over torqued these, or didn't at the time, but literally the thing just crumbled around each screw!

Anyone else with bad experiences here?
They tell ypu in the instructions NOT to use loctite because it will eat away at the plastic. They provide a special loctite on their screws, It was blue on mine.

The brass inserts they use are imbedded in the plaxtic before it cools,already a stress factor. The screws they give you have a special loctite on them. Just very slightly tighten them, do not overtighten. When it stops turning, you stop.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic