Sharpie on Prop Underside

Reaction score
After reading previous threads on prop painting, affecting balance seemed to be the primary deterrent. I was meeting several families with lots of kids at the river and wanted me to fly my drone for them so to add a little flair, I decided to use red and black sharpies to give the props a cool look and have minimal balance effect. Props are very visible up to 10-15', props are turning so fast that you only see the red and black bands. And there is no affect on balance or vibration, downside is the color is so thin it doesn't hold its color very well, pic is after month of use. And its obvious it was a rush job, but the kids loved it and nearly all of them wanted to fly the darn thing, which I had to decline (I've crashed and put so many in the water already, I just didn't to be out shined)
Prop Wash.JPG

I too use Sharpie to color my props. It's very easy and effective solution.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Great idea. I wonder if that would help tone down or possibly eliminate reflected sun glare hitting the lens when flying towards that low angled fiery ball of joy? My initial plan was to paint the undersides a matte black.

NoCo Drones

Based on what I see is the bands of black and red, and the white part only shows almost invisible blur, but for what your talking about I would almost need to color based on the type of sky. A special set of sharpies would be nice. I try not to get the props in the frame and if so i edit out by zooming in some.

This is a great idea, and to be honest, a definite safety element. When you can see the exterior of the prop spinning you have a better idea of where it is and can control it better. I always liked the black props with yellow on the tips.

Actually put 3 in the water, pilot error, or possible Russian involvement, 2 I recovered from fresh water and salvaged all but batteries and camera, even barometer continued to function. But third time was not a charm and water was too deep to recover. So not knowing the reliability of these Getterbacks, I installed two to increase odds of deploying, phone number is on float. The way I fly, always need spare parts so recovery is worth the effort.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31