Sharpening Camera setting

Well, since no one either knew or wanted to report, I did a test. The sharpening affects both videos and stills.

My preference is the Standard for the video, but I like the capability of the hard setting for raw still (DNG) images. It takes more post processing to make use of the Hard sharpening in the stills (using Photoshop CS6), and without that post processing the JPGs work a lot better (but don't need the Hard sharpening.

However, because I wouldn't want to be switching back and forth between Standard and Hard for taking videos and then stills, I will leave it in Standard unless I have a still image objective and don't need any quality videos from the same flight. If I do want quality video, I will use the Standard sharpening.

krunkcopter said:
slothead said:
My preference is the Standard for the video, but I like the capability of the hard setting for raw still (DNG) images. It takes more post processing to make use of the Hard sharpening in the stills (using Photoshop CS6), and without that post processing the JPGs work a lot better (but don't need the Hard sharpening.

This makes no sense.

The whole purpose of shooting RAW is so that you have greater control over your image in post. Sharpening in post will always be better what the weak processor can achieve in-camera.

Using in-camera hard sharpening on a RAW capture defeats one of the main advantages of capturing RAW.

Raises another question. One that I may have to test. Normally things like sharpen, noise reduction, etc. are actually setting stored in the exif data. Basically the sensor dumps its raw data and then the settings are applied. For example, with Nikon one usually gets the best results by "scrubbing" it through Nikon software first, then bringing it into Photoshop for editing. This is because proprietary Nikon settings like noise reduction are not always read by Photoshop. (less of an issue now days)

So does the Vision+ apply the sharpen setting via hardware or is it post? After all the whole idea being RAW is that its just a sensor dump and a RAW file can not be manipulated like a JPEG. So if changing the sharpen setting is affecting the file, it would have be a hardware level thing.

krunkcopter said:
slothead said:

This makes no sense.

The whole purpose of shooting RAW is so that you have greater control over your image in post. Sharpening in post will always be better what the weak processor can achieve in-camera.

Using in-camera hard sharpening on a RAW capture defeats one of the main advantages of capturing RAW.
Normally that would be true , but it doesn't seem to work here. So you do what you want Krunk, and I'll do what I want. It may not sound like it makes sense, but I tried it and that is my conclusion. (Note: my tests were limited to a very narrow range of lighting and contrast which could make a big difference, but it's what I saw this evening.)

There's a jpg recorded alongside the RAW will be affected by settings, depends how the pictures are viewed - it may show that.
The actual RAW file definitely won't be sharpened.

The initial question is a good one though because it isn't clear if all the settings apply to video and stills or not.
I have a suspicion the video white balance remains on auto regardless of what you set it on.
In a video from one flight it seemed to be changing from the blueish cloudy setting to the yellowish daylight setting as I tilted the camera down - I thought I had set it manually to 'sunny'.
However I didn't spot the changing until viewing later so hard to be sure what it was on.

4wd said:
In a video from one flight it seemed to be changing from the blueish cloudy setting to the yellowish daylight setting as I tilted the camera down - I thought I had set it manually to 'sunny'.

I begin to fear the same. I have specifically tested this out (even with different white balance settings). All I'm getting is auto wb. really sucks when it's shifting midway through a video.

P2V+ ignores all camera settings made in the smartphone app.

I had my copter sent to DJI in order to be "repaired" because the white balance settings didn't stick.
Long (very long) story short, my dealer confirmed that DJI told him that no matter what you set in the app, the camera just continues on Auto (for ISO, white balance and shutter speed).
WTF?? Seriously DJI?

If you're on the fence on buying a P2V+ my advice - Do Not!

If you use RAW for stills and have decent software to work on the video it's OK.
RAW isn't really influenced by any settings other than exposure.
The setting for exposure seems to work from the app, do agree white balance just does its own thing regardless.
Not sure about ISO, I can only check it in still picture exif and it seems to stay as set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31