Sharing my good experience with SmartGuard/Warrantech

Reaction score
Just a quick story. (Okay, not so quick, now that I've typed it all out)

Bought my P2V+ from Amazon in mid-August, and they suggested a 'SmartGuard' Accidental Damage warranty from Warrantech. There are some mixed reviews on it, but I figured $79.99 was worth the gamble, since two people had mentioned their success with having their Phantom covered.

In early October, I had an accident where it clipped a branch, and it dropped about 30 feet. While the unit itself wasn't damaged (which is amazing since it landed squarely on its back), the gimbal was pushed out from its housing, and the camera was making that heart-wrenching dance of despair.

Got my account all set up with Warrantech (I would suggest doing this before you need to use it), and submitted my claim, noting the damage to the camera. After a day or two, I got an email with a pre-paid shipping label and the authorization to send it back. I did so and tracked its progress to their facility in Texas. Another couple of days, and at the end of October, I got the good news that they're offering a settlement check.

Yesterday, my claim check came for exactly $1299, which was the cost at the time of purchase. Which puts it at two weeks exactly.

They were very responsive and I'd definitely say it's among the best $80 I've ever spent. If you're in the market for a(nother) P2V+, I would have to recommend going through Amazon and picking that up if you can. Looks like they do offer protection for higher amounts, so if I ever consider myself in the market for the Inspire 1, I'll probably go that route, too.

Anyway, not shilling or anything, but sharing my good experience.

Hey Morgan. I figure you must have gotten their 4-Year Camera/Camcorder Accident Protection Plan ($1250-1500) for $79.99. That covered the entire Phantom cost and not just the $900 repair of the camera/gimbal??? I wonder why they didn't just shell out $900.

Yes, that's what I purchased, which covered the entire unit. Not sure why they didn't simply cover the bare minimum (although are there "authorized repairs" of the gimbal? I thought it was authorized dealers who could do it, but not necessarily blessed by DJI to do so? I'm sure someone will correct me) ... but I'm thankful that they fulfilled their claims.

Their only explanation was (in part) - "Due to the cost of your item, we will offer you a settlement of the original purchase price of the unit, which we have listed as $1299.00."

Thanks for the tip, Morgon. I just signed up for it too. Seems a no-brainer if one has the cash available. Of course, we're out of luck if we have a lost fly-away situation.

I've seen quite a bit of conflicting information regarding both SmartGuard and Square Trade either covering and not covering the Phantom Vision 2 + in other forum threads. I too bought my Phantom Vision 2 + recently and there is an offer of SmartGuard coverage (Amazon) comments are made both ways on their site regarding this issue. i would feel a lot better knowing for sure that SmartGuard would cover this "good experience". Can you share some email exchanges with them? or coverage agreements?

Thanks

Tony

I didn't buy it assuming they would replace the entire bird, just the camera if broken.

Yeah. If you're buying this with the expectation that general dings are going to be covered, you're gonna have a bad time. The camera itself needs to be damaged in some way, and then the entire unit is treated as one. MapMaker does make a good point of keeping your expectations low ;)

There aren't a whole lot of email exchanges, because it's all done on their website, and then they email you with status updates.
I got an email from them when I had to get them to resend my policy documents; when my account on their website was created; when they sent me the prepaid shipping label; and when they informed me that they were going to reimburse me for the purchase price.

I will note one thing I just saw in that original email, under 'What is not covered' -- "Products used in a commercial setting without a commercial plan". Not flying commercially, I don't really know what the hell that actually means, but it might apply to some of you. Other items include your usual: "act of nature/God", "Rot, Rust, Mold", "Damages from exposure to the elements".

I tried to upload the policy document, but the board won't allow me, so here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1was64v0uu6zi2/25AMT-AMZ-PFD_09-13.pdf?dl=0
It's a bit generic. Just remember that it's 'Accidental Damage', so if it's an actual accident and still have your bird (or pieces thereof), I don't think there'd be a problem.

Hmmm is this a US thing ??
Got a link for this ? I found there website but wasn't sure which plan ??

Assuming us AUS folks won't be covered but I might ask them.. hmm or my local insurance provider...Didn't relies anyone covered you if you break something (regardless what it is) so this is interesting.

Phantom purchase from Amazon is not a requirement. Saw no mention of that.

EDIT: THIS IN FACT ONLY COVERS AMAZON PURCHASED PRODUCTS!

MapMaker53 said:
Phantom purchase from Amazon is not a requirement. Saw no mention of that.

Actually, Amazon purchase is indeed required. While it's not in the T&C's, the Q&A on the product does convey that an Amazon purchase is required.

In fact, you can't even register your policy without an Amazon order number.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll be calling them tomorrow to cancel. Strange that it would allow you to purchase the service independently on Amazon.

UPDATE: Just called up my order and requested an Amazon refund.

Maybe you won't when you see their prices! Almost $3400 for the Inspire which is already being discounted to $2900!!

That's with 2 remotes. It's $2899 with one remote. Have you seen it somewhere with 2 remotes for 2900? Amazon is usually the first place you will see price drops in my opinion

True. Just noticed that. But then you have no one to call for support. And guaranteed you will need support with a new product!

promocop said:
Maybe you won't when you see their prices! Almost $3400 for the Inspire which is already being discounted to $2900!!

Who do you buy from? I bought from my local hobby store trying to do the right thing and keep my money local and the support there is ridiculous.

JD at the DroneCamp is wonderful. Actually talks on the phone. Great customer service. Prices are competitive and he knows his stuff. I really like talking to people rather then warehouses from Amazon

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4